 Trains / 24207
Re: ALCo and EMD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:15:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Samarth Moray wrote:
   It’s been too quiet in here lately, so I thought I’d dig something up. This one’s for all the fans of the rivalry between EMD and ALCo. It’s ironic that the two have been blended into one another by our guys.

What do you mean by that exactly, does ILW have licenses for stuff from both builders and uses some tech each way, or was this unit a rebuild? It’s not

The unit is a completely (brand) new diesel that uses tech from both EMD and ALCo.

   Check it out:

http://www.irfca.org/photos/NarenMisc/20040801Image0001

http://www.irfca.org/photos/NarenMisc/20040801Image0009

This is the WDM-3D class, and its a fairly recent addition to the lineup. At first glance, it looks like any other ALCo, but if you look closely, you’ll notice some EMD in there.

It’s an interesting machine. Meter gauge, right? Do they have a lot of Alco stuff on India?

No, Broad (5 ft 6”). Meter guage is being phased out gradually. Only a few pockets remain now. ALCo stuff? more like *only* ALCo stuff. Well, actually they have the ALCo parentage. The look is the same, the engine sound is (pretty much) the same, but the tech has been improved. The only EMD diesels here are the GT-16 (phased out) and the GT-46 (Thats the one I made a model of.) If youre an ALCo guy, you’ll go mad here. However, word on the forum says that they are going to be changing the short hood of the newer WDM-3D to that of the GT-46 now. YUCK.

   Thanks for sharing!

Anytime, anytime.

Legoswami Samarth