 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2517
2516  |  2518
Subject:
ATSF Super Chief Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:42:14 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

People that know me well, know that as a railfan I have been a fan of ATSF since
I could spell it, almost 40 years ago. And I've been an Alco fan almost as long.

When LEGO brought out 10020 I was overjoyed to see a warbonnet set, but I knew
that as a model of an EMD, it was just not good enough. I always wanted to do an
Alco cab unit instead (and I've done a few other MOCs in ATSF or BNSF colors, my
warbonnet doodle bug, my BNSF recolor of MTW 2001, etc)

When James designed 10022 and 10023 for LEGO and LEGO brought out a build your
own Super Chief consist, I was overjoyed again... but the compromises forced
into that set of designs to make it saleable in mass quantities were
unsatisfying. Too short, didn't like train baseplates used, trucks too tiny, the
SNOT ends didn't seem like something James would do, they kept falling off. (my
consist has gotten at least 2-300 hours of run time at shows by now)

For the longest time I've been wanting to do up a Super Chief *proper*. The bug
hit bad when KleineSteine posted the work of LegoCastle here:
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=81076

Those are 8 wide but they are long. Long is luscious. Probably too long to be
practical. But that's been eating at me for a year, that I ought to build some
too.

Well I finally did it. I have been working like mad every spare moment I could
steal some build time on it, for at least the past two months and here's the
result.

http://www.mocpages.com/folder.php/3604
or the underlying pic files

A unit, B unit, 6 cars, and two pages of technical details.

This came to pass, at last, because of a number of things...

first James posted his El Capitan design, which has an improved SNOT design for
the end skirt attachment using the 1x4 technic plate (an awesome SNOT part
because with the holes in the ends, it lets you reverse 180 in just one plate
thickness) and he presented a variant that was bufferless.(1) !!! Joy!

So I got busy on the cars. Lots of challenges on the way but lots of fun.

Meanwhile I wanted to do a better FA or PA. Then I finally realised that this
set had what I needed http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/7239-1 ... a nice hood
piece http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/52031 and it was in RED! Perfect for an FA
hood, although a bit short for a PA.

So I did a 3 unit set, A-B-A.  Detailed interior and headlights.

This train is at least 10 feet long, maybe 12. I haven't yet run it on a layout
that can do it justice so I have no pics like that, just individual car and loco
photos.

Color me happy. I don't get to build as much as I'd like to but I sure like to
build!!!

Mad props to Tom Spamcake for his Brickenrocker guitar which I used. Huge thanks
to James and to LegoCastle for all the stuff I cribbed from their work... and a
shout out to all the other people I cribbed from too. I mentioned as many as I
could remember, if I forgot you please let me know and I'll fix it.

Oh, and on the MOCpages, warning... they have some smack! If that offends you
stick to the BrickShelf folder. If you are personally offended by a particular
bit of smack I gave you personally, drop me a note and I'll take it out.

This post is not up to my usual standards, I just got done with the last MOC
page and my fingers hurt! Besides I'm just so excited I can't help it.

Finally, a parting shot: Alco rules... EMD drools!

1 - Now I kid around with J2 a lot about buffers, but for this big passenger
cars, buffers don't quite seem right. So they don't have any and neither do the
FA and FB units.