 Trains / 24245
Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 22:50:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Darrow wrote:
snipped
I have a couple of bones to pick though...

Water isn't blue. I think it's much more effective to do water with clear
or
transblue elements...

Snow on top? I think this tends to make mountains look "Disneyish", even
with
selective compression our mountains are NEVER big enough to have a
distinct,
visible snow line... That sort of line tends to only be visible at much
farther
distances. This mountain isn't high enough to justify snow at the top and
non
snow at the bottom.

Odd you should say this.  I really like the look of the blue water cascading
down
the mountain

Whereas I like trans with blue underneath or transblue, I think it looks more
like water, since water is transparent. Having blue bricks underneath the
transparent layer makes it look blueish but not solid.

and the way the light reflects off the sloped bricks.  It's
going to take a tall, tall mountain to really justify a snow cap.

Which is probably why I would never ever use a snow cap at all. I might do an
entire mountain snow, if I was doing a winter scene or a very high elevation
scene... but not a cap on an unsnowy bottom.

Wouldn't
you agree that building with LEGO is more about the overall "feel" of the
MOC?

Yes.

To get it exactly right we'll have to go back to scale Model
Railroading and get out the plaster, lichen and polyurethane.

While that's true, I prefer to get as close as I can within the limits of the
medium which means I won't model treelines or snow caps since the vertical is
not available to me (in any reasonable mode, you have to model 2-3000 feet of
elevation difference at a minimum) to get them right, and I will use transparent
water rather than solid water, unless I am modeling very very muddy rivers.

Note that it's now fairly common practice in scale MR *not* to model treelines
or snowcaps either. Sure, if you use scene boxes and transitions, one scene can
be unsnowy and then next scene (implied to be at a much higher elevation) can be
all snowy, but not both in one scene. The NMRA guys (if this goes to the NMRA
show in Cincy) will notice this sort of thing and pick on it as being toylike.
That may not matter of course.

Note also that it's now very common practice to use transparent things to model
water as well.

Still, everyone should do what they like to do and not worry about what others
think, unless they actually want input. If you just want adulation and no
feedback, well I already said I thought it was neat.

Just filter the nits out and don't worry about it.

++Lar