 Trains / 24284
Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:04:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Darrow wrote:
Do you have
a track plan or some kind of top view, so we can see what happens *inside*
the mountain? I'm especially curious of the low bridge across the stream.
Chris Gray

Hi Chris,
Here's a close-up picture of the lower bridge.  As you can see the bridge is
an illusion.  I needed to keep it at table level since all the track running
under the mountain is on the table.  I considered a slight elevation of a
couple of bricks for the bridge but it really didn't look much different
than the table level rendition.  It all sets so far back in the layout that
it just wasn't worth complicating what takes place under the mountain to get
a little air under the bridge.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bdarrow/ExpoModule/2005_0205image0001.jpg

Here's a diagram of the track layout, however, I'm not at all proficient
with track designer.  The green is the main level, the yellow is the upper
level and blue represents the drop down section with the stone arch bridge.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/bdarrow/ExpoModule/mountain.jpg
Some of the spurs and turnouts are not on this diagram, but hopefully you
can get an idea of how the whole thing lays out.
Brian Darrow

I see you have 2 crossovers behind the scenes, one on the green track and one on
the yellow.  I like the way it enables you to put more tunnel portals in view of
the audience.  Of course turning round in a small space is essential, not
something I can do on an 8mm scale layout!

Do you have a particular scheme for supporting the scenery (such as 1 brick
every 8 studs), to give it sufficient strength?

Could you post some pics of the inside of the mountain to show how you've
supported everything, especially the high level tracks inside (given the weight
of the trains).  I'd like to develop a scheme for supporting scenery that uses
no more bricks than necessary yet provides sufficient strength to resist
handling shocks and the dynamic loads of trains passing.

Up to now I've done a few 48x48 modules by making the edges from 2-wide bricks
and building internal supporting arches towards the middle.  The inside is
effectively a 3-arch bridge across the module, with 3 tracks going at right
angles, supported on each of the arches.

I've looked at a few pictures of scenery online and thought them a bit flimsy,
so I'd be grateful for any tips.

Mark