 Trains / 24289
Re: A lil' Mountain with10 Tunnel Portals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 00:44:48 GMT

Do you have a particular scheme for supporting the scenery (such as 1
brick
every 8 studs), to give it sufficient strength?

Could you post some pics of the inside of the mountain to show how you've
supported everything, especially the high level tracks inside (given the
weight
of the trains).  I'd like to develop a scheme for supporting scenery that
uses
no more bricks than necessary yet provides sufficient strength to resist
handling shocks and the dynamic loads of trains passing.

Up to now I've done a few 48x48 modules by making the edges from 2-wide
bricks
and building internal supporting arches towards the middle.  The inside is
effectively a 3-arch bridge across the module, with 3 tracks going at
right
angles, supported on each of the arches.

I've looked at a few pictures of scenery online and thought them a bit
flimsy,
so I'd be grateful for any tips.

Mark

Hi Mark,
I'm going to be boxing the mountain module up this week for a show we're
doing in two weeks.  I will snap some pictures and post them so you can see
how everything goes together.  I use smaller tables set on top of the base
tables with the interior built randomly out of Duplo and scrap LEGO.  Take a
look at this file for a glimpse at table arrangement.
I'd love to see some pics of the modules you've built.
Brian Darrow