 Trains / 24185
Re: BNSF new paint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:45:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Derek Raycraft wrote:

That is a very interesting consept for an engine design.  I have to assume they
are all two stroke engines.  A valve assembly for something like this would be
very strange.

Well now I'll display MY ignorance... I know that a lot of 2 cycle engines are
valveless but I did not think it was mandatory that they not have exhaust
valves.

Anyway, I am pretty sure the FM is 2 cycle, I think the Alco 244 was (but too
lazy to go look), and the GM/EMD 567, 645 and 710 (so named because that's their
displacement in cubic inches... *per cylinder*!! at least IIRC) engines are also
2 cycle. GM/EMD has switched to 4 cycle in their latest stuff though.... Here's
a link:

http://www.gmemd.com/en/pmi/diesel_engines/

(the 645 and 710 are 2 cycle, but have 4 exhaust valves per cylinder... no
Intake of course since they're fuel injected Diesel, but these are not OP,
they're conventional single piston per cylinder)

This level of detail is hard to even *suggest* at the scale we work at though.
I managed to work something in that looks like a fuel rail on my latest project
but I did nothing at ALL to suggest exhaust stuff...

++Lar