 Trains / 24183
Re: BNSF new paint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:28:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Is *that* what it was, I thought you were baiting with that pejorative term...
(1). But more importantly, what are you babbling about? I *know* what the engine
term is. So does Tim. This is lugnet.trains after all, so why should I google
for it if I know what it is? Trainheads all know.

Sorry Larry, I've had far too many M&Ms today.  And I just can't stop eating
them.

My question was in fact was serious.  I didn't understand how an engine could
have two cylenders share the same combustion chamber.

I realized after that I asked about something without doing any basic research.
I thought I should see what I could find on it.

The rest of it.  Well I've just had too many M&Ms.  I'm sorry.

http://www.lexcie.zetnet.co.uk/delticengine.htm

No, the Deltic is more complicated than an FM. The FM engine is vertical and has
only one cylinder bank and two crank sets, top and bottom, instead of three
banks with each pair sharing one crankshaft. FM's are considered by many to be
quite reliable and rugged and have been a major US N power source for 60-70
years. Arguably their failure as a loco source was not due to the engine itself,
just that FM was late to the game and the 244 (Alco) and 567(GM) were already
well established.

That is a very interesting consept for an engine design.  I have to assume they
are all two stroke engines.  A valve assembly for something like this would be
very strange.

I don't know why I've never came across this design before.

1 - this isn't rtlT.

True, now that I'm coming down I'll refrain from using overly creative
explatives.  I do think a Larry Pieniazek Bobble Head would be really cool.

Derek