 Trains / 24162
Re: BNSF new paint
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:14:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ed Andrews wrote:

By the way, didn't BN buy Santa Fe?  I had read in Trainz that SF needed some
serious captial infusion and BN wanted a continous intermodal link between
Chicago and California.  Nice article on the build-out of dual mainline for the
entire segment.

It was a merger rather than outright purchase, I think. BN was bigger than ATSF
but as sometimes happens, many of the ATSF people ended up running things at
least for a while, as ATSF was arguably a better run railroad pre merger than
BN. (some argue that it hadn't yet completely digested the original merger of
GN, NP and CB&Q, much less digested the SLSF that it acquired prior to ATSF...
I'm not sure I agree, it wasn't a disaster the way that the UP merger with SP
was)