 Trains / 24826
Re: More obscure diesel variants (BoCo)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:53:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell wrote:
   ... when was the last time a Bo Co ran?...

James Powell

Not a real one, but (in a shameless self-plug) my model of one won a prize at Hull model railway show last November. Here it has red buffer beams, like the illustrations of BoCo in the Awdry books: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=707083

For the official prize photo I changed them to green: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1149867

CoBos were always non-standard, not conforming to the maxim of making parts as common as possible, to save money by having more identical parts and fewer types of part. They weren’t very reliable either, often running double-headed, on a container train called the “Condor”, which consisted of containers on Conflat wagons (not ISO boxes like we have now!).

I have only B&W photos of a CoBo in the diesels book, and preservation photos aren’t really representative of their livery in the 60s, since they must have been repainted since then. What colour were the buffer beams?

Mark