 Trains / 24251
Re: What's the latest in DCC for LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 01:22:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell wrote:

Any of the xx3 gen digitrax decoders are fine. I’m using DZ123’s, and the useful feature is that they incorporate overload protection.

I’m using a big boy setup, but basically, you will run out of trains before you run out of control channels in all but LDCC. Unless you have a VERY large space, 22 trains is more than enough. (and if you have enough space for 22 running trains, LMK, and I will come visit :).

I’ve still got a box of motors to convert (about 1/2 done right now...but I haven’t had time to finish them...instead, I kind of have gotten distracted into the OO scale layout, and automatic train control on it, as well as rebuilding parts of it that have sagged up to 1/2” (on 1x4 by 6’ spans no less!).

James

Thanks James,

The DZ123 sounds like the economical choice then. Any other advice on installing these? I’m planning to remove the thermal protection disk from the motorbox, what about the surge diode? I assume anti buzzing circuits are no longer needed with Super Sonic?

Also, how do you wire up your lights? Do you tie yellow and white togather and bring them to the 9v port, or do you run them as seperate wires outside the motorbox? I’m thinking the first is easier, but it would be nice to run tail lights seperately on some locos. Not to mention interior lights.

The BigBoy is 5amp? How many motors can you run efectivly at the same time? The Zephyr 2.5amp can handle 10 decoder address at a time, but I don’t expect to be running that many at one time on a home layout, even with lashups. And the SuperChief can handle 900+ decoders for a large show. I’ll let you know when we have 22+ locos on a layout. 8)

Mat