 Trains / 24230
Re: Layout Started
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2005 17:52:58 GMT

Some simple model railraoding techniques might offer some depth.

Perhaps a blue gradient staring at about 12" above the table top, to about 36"
above the table (depending how high the tallest buildings are). Since its
already light blue, get some black tint paint and mix small amounts of it to
some remaining blue. Maybe two more and blend them on the wall while the paint
is still wet.

Also add some clouds to the walls, again below the ~36", not all the way to the
ceiling.

A wall to wall, wrap around 16" shelf above the layout, ~36" above the table
(depending how high the tallest buildings are) is a nice way to both limit the
upper boundry, add nice lighting (mount a few florecint tube desk light under
the front lip of the shelf), and add storage space above.

The most important thing is to keep going! It takes a lot of energy to build up
a layout!

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Ed Andrews wrote:
Updates to the layout.  Painting was nearly wrapped up this weekend and by
Tuesday evening I was asked to start getting my old Lego sets out of the
closest.

http://brickshelf.com/gallery/eeandrews/Trains/firehouse1.jpg

http://brickshelf.com/gallery/eeandrews/Trains/construction.jpg

http://brickshelf.com/gallery/eeandrews/Trains/station.jpg

http://brickshelf.com/gallery/eeandrews/Trains/yard.jpg

I'm not completely happy with the configuration.  Base plates and track are
fighting for space and many of the old sets no longer have their own baseplates
(Brickshelf here I come).

The "yard.jpg" shows some brackets where I am going to mount a water feature.
We have a 4005 and 4030 to display working next to my poor man's knock off of a
Milton Train Works switcher.

I'll be honest, I know I am suffering from flat earth symdrome.  I was afraid it
would happen.  I'll post pictures of the dock probably after this weekend.  I
think I have space to do a similar "shelf" along the "construction.jpg" area and
try for a more proper construction pit.

Any suggestions for 3D relief are welcome.