 Trains / 23938
23937  |  23939
Subject:
Layout Started
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:09:45 GMT

Thank you all for the advise and help.  We're underway with starting a shelf
layout.  The basement project is finally complete, last of the paint and
carpeting.  The playroom is nearly 11' a 11' and has already been claimed by a
Duplo freight.  Seeing how the room is taking shape lead me to mirror the
trackage and reduce the return loop.  Two 4x8 sheets ripped to 3.5'x7.5' and
3'x7.5' will get the basic coverage.  I'll be lag bolting the 2x4 subframe into
the wall studs and supporting the leading edge with turned legs.  They're 21.5"
high, so it should provide a nice area to store part bins underneath.

I would have liked to incorporate some terrian relief in the initial setup, and
still may cut out a river crossing in the middle for the dual mains.  I want to
keep it fairly straight though, we have most of the Superchief set idling in
their packing boxes.

Picture summary:

basement4.jpg : Playroom nearing completion.  Window trim treatment debate
finally settled.

basement1:  Overview of the big people's side of the project.  This took nearly
three years, starting out as a simple request to insulate the basement.  Well,
then you think, I'll full stud frame out in case we ever want to finish part of
it off.  Next thing you know, you're trying to hang crown molding.

playroom.jpg: The Duplos finally have a home.

final.jpg: Final track layout (I think)