 Trains / *20215 (-100)
  Re: NGLTC Festival of Trees Setup is complete

(...) Festival of Trees in Boston. We will post pictures eventually I am sure. It's nice seeing the NELUG ornament :-). Eric K. (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: PCC (was Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

(...) I agree about the omission of the motor sideframes-- that's a given. It's just that the MOC sits so high on the trucks, it makes for one interesting first step on or off the trolley;-) Avoiding that problem building 8 wide is hard enough, let (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PCC (was Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

(...) Actually.... no, they don't need to be, Ensign Decker. Some are some aren't, and running the truck without any sideframe at all is not a bad approximation, actually. (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Keep those 4.5volt trains alive!

(...) Rayovac Renewal (tm) rechargable alkalines put out 1.5v. They are also cheaper and safer (for us and the environment) than NiCads. How about NiMH batteries, what voltage do they put out? -chris (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  NGLTC Festival of Trees Setup is complete

After two days of work the NGLTC has finished it setup of our tree for the Children's Healthcare of Georgia Festival of Trees in the Georgia World Congress Center in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. NGLTC members Lewis Valentine, Scott Lyttle and myself (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.ga.atl, lugnet.loc.us.ga) !

  Keep those 4.5volt trains alive!

My train collection consists of a number of 4.5, 12 and 9 volt sets. The 9 volt ones are converted to DCC, the 12 volt trains I run as is but running the 4.5 trains soon gets boring with their very limited capability for remote control and of course (...) (22 years ago, 5-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PCC (was Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

(...) That's because you can't defy the laws of physics, Captain [1]; the wheels *must* be shrouded.... When will you learn that you can't "grand right and left" with a 1 armed square dancer? -John [1] even money on James Mathis, though;-) (22 years ago, 4-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Syracuse GATS (was: Re: Roberson Toy Train Show)

(...) I remember discussions and field reports on early (ca. 1998) shows where the LUGNET community were reporting common questions and topics brought up by attendees at train shows with LEGO layouts at them. It became apparent that similar (...) (22 years ago, 4-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.lucny)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) Nothing wrong with being proud of one of your nations best export products right? :D (...) Well some of his stuff at LEGOWorld has surely inspired me, so beware!!! (...) Sorry, but my health isn't really up to it, doing multiple all-nighters (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PCC (was Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

(...) I'm not too worried. You won't be able to build it in 6 wide. So Peter's title is safe, I expect. (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Fully articulated light rail vehicle

(...) [...] (...) [...] (...) Thanks! Did you see my City Bus model? (...) Good question. Our layout doesn't have any elevation changes so I couldn't say. I think that it would handle a gradual change in elevation easily enough, but a more extreme (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PCC (was Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

(...) Wait a little while-- I started one about a year ago but never finished it, but now I'm back on it so keep an eye out.... -John (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Syracuse GATS (was: Re: Roberson Toy Train Show)

(...) because they mostly come from a common source... PNLTC's which I then heavily edited in 2000, and which then got propagated out to a lot of places. The color parts diagrams in Mike's pdf are pretty nifty though, eh? That's a nice touch. (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.lucny)

  Re: Syracuse GATS (was: Re: Roberson Toy Train Show)

(...) I'm finding that we all speak the same speak on these handouts, and all the work of parts descriptions and diagrams in particular is first rate. I'll keep the same consistent message on LUCNY's version. (...) I'll set aside for you a (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.lucny)

  Re: PCC (was Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

(...) Yep, there are many mutilated pieces in that model. That's one of Pete's creations. He's also responsible for mutilating the trans-orange flame pieces to make the rows of corn in the barn scene. He's even mutilated some LEGO track, to make a (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Fully articulated light rail vehicle

In lugnet.announce.moc, William R. Ward writes: Bill, Very nice. I like transit vehicles. How does it do going up and down where the track is not level? Bob (...) [snip] (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: train signal

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:H6K52u.8ss@lugnet.com... (...) *love* (...) [ ... snipped ... ] Here are a couple more pictures of Cary's RR Crossing Signal. (URL) Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com (URL) - North Carolina LEGO Train (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: train signal

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote in message news:H6K4K6.72n@lugnet.com... (...) you (...) Cary, (...) [ ... snipped ... ] Cary's sign is indeed impressive. I had seen bits and pieces of it over the last month or so but had never seen (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: train signal

In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark writes: That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time! I totally *love* it, and want one for *my* layout!!! Great idea, and great execution Cary! Awesome! -John (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  train signal

I've started working on a new train layout. I couldn't make up my mind whether to make the cars 6 wide or 8 wide, so instead I plan to make them 384 studs wide. I've started with the accessories, but ran into a problem when the crossing signal hit (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: Syracuse GATS (was: Re: Roberson Toy Train Show)

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H6JMyE.6yI@lugnet.com... (...) [ ... snipped ... ] (...) be (...) clubs. (...) [ ... snipped ... ] Here is a link to the FAQ package I put together for our last GATS show: (URL) me (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.lucny)

  10020 ATSF Super Chief @ TRU

I mentioned over in lugnet.marketplace.shopping that my local TRU (Cary, NC) has the Super Chief on the shelf. (URL) is really nice to see LEGO Trains on the shelf of regular retail stores. Makes the impulse purchases so much easier! Mike -- Mike (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: April 1st / PLEASE don't kill me.....

Since this thread resurfaced... (...) For the record Ben never did send these to me but I got to examine them closely, in person. Amazing work. :-) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SantaFe question

(...) YES! You can only build ONE of the 2 - 3 possible models from one set, at any given time. If You want to build all 5 different cars at the same time, you will need to buy five sets (2 10025 and 3 10022). Kecia (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SantaFe question

(...) Hi Mike! You need 1 set (10022 or 10025) to build 1 car. If you want to own the five different cars, you have to buy three sets of 10022 and two sets of 10025. (URL) Regards, Ben P.s.: see here for the spares you will have, after a certain set (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  SantaFe question

Is it true that from the SantaFe cars set I. and II. is possible build ONLY ONE of the cars and if I want own all five cars I have to buy FIVE of this sets ??? Thanks. mike (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) Thanks Larry, for giving this exhaustive description of my lived hobby. I think you caught nearly all facets of me being an hardcore AFOL. (...) They have been named beer waggons by some of the other AFOLs around. I always counted them as wine (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) Oh, and on my list of reasons, I omitted - egregiously fabricating past history - spreading falsehoods about people's signatures because no such thing ever happened. The "++Lar" started because Todd used to sign his posts "--Todd" and I (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) (URL) think I got this title from Larry P. In the past he used to sign his messeges with '++Lar' (the '++' was meant as a sign for him as train expert never being wrong.) After april the first in 2000 Larry was forced to sign as '+Lar' or even (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  PCC (was Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

(...) OK, how was this done? (URL) then (URL) yellow window HAD to be mutilated (among many other required mutilations (1) )but it's done very very cleverly. That's the best LEGO PCC I've ever seen, but there is no way to make one that good from (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Syracuse GATS (was: Re: Roberson Toy Train Show)

(...) GATS is very national. Except for the NE, where they don't have as much presence, they do a lot of shows all over the US. At the national level they are aware of the power of LEGO(r) and what clubs are consistently able to achieve once they (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.lucny)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) One could speculate, I suppose, that it might have something to do with - an April Fool's prank in which a nonexistent historic set was presented, causing quite a stir among historians... - another April Fool's prank in which an entire line of (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) What did you do to earn THAT title? :D -- Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

My pics are posted at Tom's Legomania, (URL) only about 80 pics, though. (...) -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  Syracuse GATS (was: Re: Roberson Toy Train Show)

(...) This is good advice, Lar. Thanks. I would have thought it best to ask for a guarantee, but I understand the reasonings perfectly now. How national is GATS? I mean: if we offer reference to the other clubs here who have done successful GATS (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.lucny)

  Re: 3737 parts pack again a disappointment

(...) Well, today I got not two...but three outstandingly straight wagon plates from LEGO®. When it comes to customer service, LEGO® is the hands-down winner I must say! -Harvey (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Roberson Toy Train Show

(...) Best to post this to trains.org as that's where the other train clubs cross post stuff. Succinctly: If you go for contest, you are competing for a prize with/against the other layouts that selected contest as their choice. The rules and (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.org, lugnet.trains.org)

  New MOC: Fully articulated light rail vehicle

This is my second LEGO train model, a modern light rail vehicle (LRV). It is inspired loosely by the new vehicles that have recently entered service for the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) in Santa Clara County, CA. Like the VTA (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.build) !!

  Pictures of BayLTC at GATS in Pleasanton CA, Nov 30/Dec 1 2002

Pictures of our award winning (first place) layout at GATS are now available on my website, and after moderation, on Brickshelf: (URL) William R Ward bill@wards.net (URL) Consistency is not really a human trait. --Maude (from the film "Harold & (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.events, lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

The images have been uploaded, after moderation they can be found here : (URL) something's still unclear, let me know and I'll see if I can make things clearer. (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC - Small Train Station

(...) Thanks, I based the facade on Paris' Gare St. Lazare. The real version can be seen here: (URL) had to clip out several bays as well as the top story. I also redid the roof in a more Victorian style (with the HP slate roof pieces). Even as (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC - Small Train Station

(...) Thanks. The feel of this station brings me back to the early 80's or so of LEGO design (except for the new green roofs). Generally, I tend to use a lot more special parts, giving my MOC's a more fanciful and often futuristic look. However, I (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) I have one, missing a current pickup pin and with damaged worm screws which is currently "in disassembled state" But otherwise its complete and OK. I can make some images if anybody needs em, just drop me an email with wishes and I'll upload (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS

Bravo, BayLTC! It's always great to hear that another club has received a first-place award at a train show. :-) JohnG, GMLTC (fut trains.org, just to reduce clutter!) (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

This sounds like a project of mine too... So far I have changed a 9V motor only with an addtional output (pictures on my homepage), but I am working on having an engine for both systems. BR S john hill <johnhill@cnd.co.nz> wrote in message (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) I think he refers to the 6-wheel 12V train motors of the grey era. That are glued and really hard to close once they have been opened. Regards from the Bad Boy of Brunswick, Ben (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

Thanks Sonnich, I am not sure I will even try, my alternative plan is to somehow make current pick-ups that will work on the 9V track and feed the 12V motors through their external connector. My DCC track voltage is about 11 volts which with the (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

(...) Hi Sonnich, I have at least one picture of an opened 12V motor online: (URL) more text is to be found by opening the complete site: (URL) have never opened a 7865 myself: I got a few of them as opened ones though. No chance for further picture (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  New MOCs incl a Manor House

Dear fellow AFOLs! I have added a few new models to my pages: (URL) the link on the front pages og see "creations" Now, maybe someone could help me with the text for the manor house before I add it to the ISCC. My problem is that I cannot describe (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.build, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

Once I dropped one one the floor - that did it :-) Aother way is to open it from teh bottom side. It is glued nearby the wheels. When that is opened you can quite easy open it. I haven't done it for some time, there are 2 holes but AFAIR they ae not (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC - Small Train Station

(...) This has got to be the most beautiful train station in LEGO® that I've ever seen. That teal(?) roof is tops. Looks every bit the part of a classic train station. -Harvey (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MOC - Small Train Station

(...) nice. Hehe, I always enjoy seeing your idea of "small"... :-) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  MOC - Small Train Station

Here is a small train station I built for a layout under our Christmas tree. (URL) the small space available, it had to be significantly more compressed than my usual MOC's and there was no room for interior details. However, I did include a front (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build) !

  Re: New Train Truck (bogie) Design

John wrote: > Necessity is the mother of invention.... > > Until now, I had been happy with using standard LEGO trucks > when building my train cars, even though they are prototypically > incorrect for US versions. Most US rolling stock use a truck (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 12 Volt train motors and DCC

your 12v motors don't have screws? john hill <johnhill@cnd.co.nz> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: H6H18w.KFI@lugnet.com... (...) and (...) open (...) much (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Success at Pleasanton GATS

FREMONT, CA - BayLTC, the Bay Area LEGO Train Club, has just finished a very successful display at the Great American Train Show in Pleasanton, CA. The club layout came away winning First Place in the train layout contest. Pictures should be coming (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org)

  12 Volt train motors and DCC

Hi guys, I have a number of 9V motors that I have converted to use DCC and also some 12V motors I would like to convert. Does anyone know how to open the 12V motors in such a way that then can be closed again without TOO much mutilation? Thanks (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Train Truck (bogie) Design

(...) Yes, as far as I can tell, that is my application as well (articulation). I would like to see more pics of your MOC, as well as more in general from you Italian 8 widers-- I love your stuff! I will be posting my cars in a week or so. (...) My (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Train Truck (bogie) Design

(...) ??? I am *constantly* running out of bricks! Every project requires frequent patronage of various Bricklink vendors:-) Thanks for the compliment, Stefan. -John (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Train Truck (bogie) Design

Awesome truck design!!! Kinda a parts-eater, but I get the feeling you don't have to worry about running out of bricks. I like the use of the arm-thingies especially. Very cool. -Stefan- (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Train Truck (bogie) Design

(...) John, I had a similar problem some time ago with my 3 axle car wagons: (URL) the middle axle is "naked" ie without the outer part. I used the 1x2 door rail plates too,but I put 2 of them side by side (realizing a 1x4 plate with door rail) (...) (22 years ago, 1-Dec-02, to lugnet.trains)

  New Train Truck (bogie) Design

Necessity is the mother of invention.... Until now, I had been happy with using standard LEGO trucks when building my train cars, even though they are prototypically incorrect for US versions. Most US rolling stock use a truck that closely resembles (...) (22 years ago, 30-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: opening / repairing 12v grey transformer 7864

(...) Well, I just drilled out the six plugs. (I already thought they would have something to do with keeping it closed but I though they maybe could be pushed in or something) From the remains of the plugs it is clear you have to destroy them. They (...) (22 years ago, 30-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  4-4-4 Steamer MOC Instructions

Hi All, Over the holiday weekend, I was able to finish up the LDRAW model for the 4-4-4 steamer I posted about a couple of weeks ago. After moderation, the instructions and a couple of renderings can be found here: (URL) couple of points to mention: (...) (22 years ago, 30-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.cad.dat.models)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) I built a boat the other day but it wouldn't float upright even with four airtanks holding it up on outriggers. I tried to motorise it but when I placed the motor on board the whole thing tipped and I had to lift the motor off again before it (...) (22 years ago, 30-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Teaser Picture: Blown up Mathis Models.

Hi all, Felix, a 16 years old fellow from the FGLTC has made up a pair of 8-wide models inspired by two MOCs of James. he allowed me to announce a very first teaser picture of it (later this is planned to become an ISCC II entry): (URL) am amazed (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: Textured bricks that look like bricks?

Xposted but FUT left to .general (...) Yes, it was a GATS show (www.GATS.org for info on this commercial train show organizing outfit) (...) Peripherally there might be some toy and suchlike being sold, as well as railfanning stuff like books and (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.us.michlug)

Please let us know the result Esger Abbink <e.abbink-no-spam-pl...chello.nl> wrote in message news:H6977q.6qA@lugnet.com... (...) may (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: opening / repairing 12v grey transformer 7864

Hi Esgar, Getting close to 10 years ago the 12V transformer I had was starting to lose its power a bit, so I ended up buying a new transformer. A few years after that, I was given the opportunity to open the original transformer in an attempt to see (...) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) yes, phone masts (cell towers) are cool! (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train tracks and Xmas model

(...) Yes the track can be modified although it would make more sense to just order 9v track and save the nightmare. If you want to run newer 9v train cars on 4.5v track there shouldn’t be much problem as long as you have a 4.5v train motor pulling (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

I was thinking of a Lego one, a real one with a working boat would be outstanding. I think it should have a glass (perspex) side so you can see underwater! Mark "James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  More NovaLUG show photos

Here are a few more photos of the Dartmouth show: (URL) Included are some shots of Jean-Marc's Volvo dealership. The GP9 with the CN "noodle" is my latest creation. Although it's hard to see, I used a 21 stud string (x127a) for the long handrail. (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  opening / repairing 12v grey transformer 7864

Hi, I've got a couple of transformers that apparently dont work anymore but may very well be easily repairable. However I cant seem to find a way to open them up without damaging the housing beyond repair. Does anyone have a clue how to get to the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) Actually, it wasn't too bad. Only 3 bricklink orders. There were a few sellers out there who had amassed small hordes of these bricks. I think I hit all the major hordes. Luckily no one else wanted to do this, or I would have been out of luck. (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Additions to my Town Planning site

I've added two new articles to my Town Planning site, one on Layout Design: (URL) one on Ideas for Buildings: (URL) you have comments, corrections, additions, or ideas for more articles (especially if you'd like to write one!) please let me know. (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce) !

  Train tracks and Xmas model

I have 2 questions: First i have a very old 4.5v lego train and i was wondering if i could use the tracks from my old train in newer sets, i think the answer is no but is there a way that tracks could be modified?? Anyone with some info regarding (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GWLTS photos

(...) Q- are you meaning a watertight canal? Or just a lego one? I have ideas as to how to manage a watertight one, but haven't done anything about it yet...lack of time. They involve wooden U shaped boxs, fiberglass resin and vasoline to seal (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NSW 40 Class Diesel...New And Improved

(...) The URL works fine with me, if not try... (URL) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: NSW 40 Class Diesel...New And Improved

I really would like to give my opinion.... but your link doesn't work !! :-( Suggestions? Klaas (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) Yes, it _does_ look like a university building (I actually was thinking Princeton, myself). Recently, I tried my hand at a similar building to serve as a public library. It makes good use of Sand Green bricks with a Dark Gray roof. After (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  NCLTC Christmas Layout Display @ South Hills Mall - Raleigh, NC

The North Carolina LEGO Train Club will have a 10'x20' layout on display from December 1st through December 28th at South Hills Mall in Raleigh, North Carolina. Our layout is part of the Christmas theme of the Mall and will be set up in the open (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.org.us.nclug, lugnet.announce, lugnet.events) !

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) I think that's actually Alfred Speredelozzi's building. Further, it's a building with a prototype that is (sort of) in your neck of the woods... the Troy NY area to be exact, it's on the campus of RPI. Al is one of our newer members but he's (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) Different elevations are neat. I have not had good-looking results doing this yet, but someday I hope to figure out how to do it well. After looking at all of the pics in the folder, I am quite amazed at the amount of SandGreen slopes used on (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

In lugnet.trains, Bruce Hietbrink writes: Snipped instructive examples. (...) Yes. The issue here may well just be "what is the point at which you have 'too many'..." For me, for this mountain, 10% face coverage was just at the edge of 'too many', (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  NSW 40 Class Diesel...New And Improved

Growing tired of the same old red routine I used in building my locomotives, I decided to try this one using the classic black and gray motif... (URL) made a host of other improvements to this model, not least of which is an overall lengthening of (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

I've had to build several mountains for my Tolkien project and have gone back and forth on BURPs/LURPs. I wasn't thrilled with this cliff: (URL) it was basically just a Burp pile. On my next mountain I tried to completely hide the BURPs (though they (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) Whoops, good catch. 24x24 is what I mean. Sorry about that! I actually miscounted, I used 2 of these. One with the corner replaced (tacked together with plates) and one with it omitted.. The one with it omitted was used just behind the (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) Hmm, where are you folks finding 32x32s with missing corner? I have a box full of 24x24s with missing corner, but no 32x32s... :-) :-) :-) I really need to do some sculpted stuff, if for nothing else, just to use up all those huge bricks :-) (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) I don't completely cover them; just about 1/2 covered or so. It lets me get a consistent background color by using piles of grey or dk grey burps. I find that it does take quite a few bricks, but because the burps are the structural layer, I (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MichLUG Table Specs

(...) I agree, we must be doing something wrong. After I wrote that, I had to check with Eric K., and he verified that it was correct. The "nearly two hours" includes bringing all our stuff into the hall, and we probably wasted some time chatting (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) One entrance/portal has angled wings (something that you don't see much in LEGO models) and the other has straight wings but an angled portal. The angle is 45 degrees and it's almost an integral distance, there is a little bending at the top (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) Nice work; I'm especially impressed by the angled tunnel entrance, those are always my particular demon. So much so that I've sworn against them 3 shows running now... :) Looks to be about 45 bricks of vertical or so? My only significant (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  livejournal lego trains community

i didn't see an existing lego trains community on livejournal.com, so i went ahead and created one. if you are a livejournal user, and would like to join the community, come on over. this is not meant as a replacement for lugnet in any way, simply a (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) Spencer in out GATS show in jan. we will have Larrys mountain,paul J.s mountain/church, something from Jason and maybe a drop with a bridge from Amy so we may have 4 different elevations....Chris (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: MichLUG Table Specs

(...) You guys may be doing something wrong. Since we use a mix of 30x30 and 30x60 we probably have somewhere near the same number of intertable seams that you do using 40x40s... and it would not take us anywhere NEAR 2 hours to make a table setup (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains.org)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) I have dreamed of doing something like this for a long time, but I'll have to collect a lot more bricks before that ever happens. Thanks for sharing. It looks great. Play well. Tim Strutt (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ATSF warbonnet doodlebug spotted

(...) My ATSF doodlebug was at the Livonia show of course. But that's not why I posted... Cletus Romano has done am ATSF Doodlebug and he's got the oldstyle nose down quite nicely... (URL) three variants of doodlebugs in warbonnet. Any more out (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) It will accomodate some 8 wides but the design goal was to clear the bullet with pantographs up at a normal operating height. It will not accomodate long wheelbase 8 wides as the inside clearances are not as large as the outside ones. The (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mountain/Quarry

(...) I had a plan, I wanted it to take up a certain space and have tunnel portals at certain points. I laid the track down on the baseplates (one plate off the baseplates, actually, using tiles and a few turntables in strategic spots) and just (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact