 Trains / 18592
18591  |  18593
Subject:
train signal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:55:18 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I've started working on a new train layout. I couldn't make up my mind
whether to make the cars 6 wide or 8 wide, so instead I plan to make them
384 studs wide. I've started with the accessories, but ran into a problem
when the crossing signal hit the basement ceiling:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/cary/misc/lego_train_crossing.jpg

I don't know who the goofy looking guy is next to the sign, but he gives you
an idea of the scale.

Of course I'm kidding. The sign was built for the NCLTC train show in Cary,
North Carolina (USA). Here's the sign at the full nine foot height (thanks
to Mike Walsh for the picture):

The sign is mostly LEGO except for the 110V light bulbs, sockets, lamp wire,
microswitches, PVC pipe substructure, and guy wires. That is, the post,
cross arms, lenses, light cans, sign, and control box that makes the lights
blink are LEGO. It's unglued, for better or worse (ask Mike about that).

The lenses are made of 1x2 trans-red plates, held in place with 2x2
trans-clear tiles.

The control box (the red box with the blue top in the first picture)
consists of a Technic motor turning the gears and cams that make the lights
blink and turn the lights off altogether every few minutes. It's powered by
a train regulator. The box has one side made out of clear windows so I can
confirm that it's still working without taking it apart.

There are about 1500 white 2x4s making up the main post, and around 3000
parts altogether. It is a bear to move. It took about 3 hours to re-assemble
after moving it to the mall the first time, but only an hour or so to
re-assemble after the first accident. I'll let you know how long it takes
after the next accident. :)

Cary