 Trains / 18594
Re: train signal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:12:03 GMT

"Cary Clark" <cary@corp.nospamwebtv.net> wrote in message
news:H6K4K6.72n@lugnet.com...
I've started working on a new train layout. I couldn't make up my mind
whether to make the cars 6 wide or 8 wide, so instead I plan to make them
384 studs wide. I've started with the accessories, but ran into a problem
when the crossing signal hit the basement ceiling:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/cary/misc/lego_train_crossing.jpg

I don't know who the goofy looking guy is next to the sign, but he gives • you
an idea of the scale.

Of course I'm kidding. The sign was built for the NCLTC train show in • Cary,
North Carolina (USA). Here's the sign at the full nine foot height (thanks
to Mike Walsh for the picture):

[ ... snipped ... ]

Cary's sign is indeed impressive.  I had seen bits and pieces of it over the
last month or so but had never seen it all together.  It is almost built to
1:1 scale (the train store where we have the layout has a real one in front
of it).

There are about 1500 white 2x4s making up the main post, and around 3000
parts altogether. It is a bear to move. It took about 3 hours to • re-assemble
after moving it to the mall the first time, but only an hour or so to
re-assemble after the first accident. I'll let you know how long it takes
after the next accident. :)

Cary

Cary reference to the "first accident" was my fault.  We were setting up the
layout Sunday afternoon and I had my nephew and son with me.  I had warned
each of them several times not to get to close to Cary's sign.

A short tme later I myself knocked down his masterpiece doing exactly what
Cary had warned us not to do!  What a mess - the RR crossing sign completely
shattered and most of the upper part of pole came apart as well.  Boy did I
feel bad (in fact I still do).  My negligence put a big delay in our set up
process - we still have some detail left (like vehicles and landscaping) to
do.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com