 Trains / 18527
Re: Mountain/Quarry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:59:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Brown writes:

Nice work; I'm especially impressed by the angled tunnel entrance, those are
always my particular demon.  So much so that I've sworn against them 3 shows
running now... :)

One entrance/portal has angled wings (something that you don't see much in
LEGO models) and the other has straight wings but an angled portal. The
angle is 45 degrees and it's almost an integral distance, there is a little
bending at the top to get it to work, so small you can hardly see it (but
enough misalignment that the portal top tends to stress fracture a bit and
has to be constantly pressed back together).

The wings are the connection points and hold the portal via hinges.

If I had it to do over again I might only connnect one wing and let the
portal AND the other wing float (held in place with guides but not connected)

Looks to be about 45 bricks of vertical or so?

Thereabouts.

My only significant
suggestion would be to not shy so hard away from burps; used properly they
can give you the uniformity of a background color without killing the
non-sculpted look.  I tend to run the burbs as a background layer, between 2
and 10 bricks in, depending on what kind of slope I'm looking for.

Do you mean you cover them up? In that case why bother? My issue is that by
the time you've added enough bricks that they are no longer recognisable as
burps you hvae spent almost as many as you would to just sheathe.

I don't completely cover them; just about 1/2 covered or so.  It lets me get
a consistent background color by using piles of grey or dk grey burps.  I
find that it does take quite a few bricks, but because the burps are the
structural layer, I can use lots of little bricks where I would otherwise
not be able.  I also don't try to "hide" that they're burps, just break up
the uniformity.

How is it braced internally,

GMLTC standard lattice structure, with extra bracing in areas where the wall
is thin. Tunnel roofs are using huge bricks (one 32x32 with corner missing
and a lot of 12x24s) and plate bracing. The bracing is embedded in the
lattice and then the lattice is just layered on top of the huge bricks and
away you go. I used a spacing of 5 vertical between each 2x4 lattice layer.

I figured as much.  I tend to go with 6 or 7 vertical, though.  Saves me on
the 2x4s.  The 'superbricks' are wonderful for this sort of thing; I just
grabbed another 5 of the 32x32's with missing corner from a NALUG draft. :)

James