 Trains / 18525
Re: Mountain/Quarry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 07:46:08 GMT

In lugnet.build, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I have been dropping hints in various places about the "big project" that
had been consuming a lot of time. It was revealed at the MichLTC show yesterday.

These are deep links, thanks to Peter for taking pics. More pics surely will
be available later but in case you're interested and can't wait...

Mountain overall shots

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/0211-livonia/pb240001.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/0211-livonia/pb240002.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/pguenthe/0211-livonia/pb240003.jpg

This mountain takes up 2x3 15" grey baseplates. It splits into 3 sections of
1x2 for transport.

Nice work; I'm especially impressed by the angled tunnel entrance, those are
always my particular demon.  So much so that I've sworn against them 3 shows
running now... :)

Looks to be about 45 bricks of vertical or so?  My only significant
suggestion would be to not shy so hard away from burps; used properly they
can give you the uniformity of a background color without killing the
non-sculpted look.  I tend to run the burbs as a background layer, between 2
and 10 bricks in, depending on what kind of slope I'm looking for.

How is it braced internally, and what size of train is it rated for?  It
looks like only 6-wide clearance on the inside of those curves, but the
perspective makes it hard to tell.

James
(...built a few mountains in my time...)