 Trains / 18597
Re: PCC (was Re: Success at Pleasanton GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 19:31:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains.org, Russell Clark writes:
FREMONT, CA - BayLTC, the Bay Area LEGO Train Club, has just finished a very
successful display at the Great American Train Show in Pleasanton, CA. The
club layout came away winning First Place in the train layout contest.

OK, how was this done?

http://www.vfaq.org/GATS-2002_12_01/index.html
then
http://www.vfaq.org/GATS-2002_12_01/Med/12010070.jpg

That yellow window HAD to be mutilated (among many other required
mutilations (1) )but it's done very very cleverly.

That's the best LEGO PCC I've ever seen, but there is no way to make one
that good from stock LEGO, in my view, at this time.

1 - how many different elements mutilated (painted or cut) can you spot? I
can spot at least 4....

Yep, there are many mutilated pieces in that model.  That's one of Pete's
creations.  He's also responsible for mutilating the trans-orange flame pieces
to make the rows of corn in the barn scene.  He's even mutilated some LEGO
track, to make a 90 degree curve that uses a wider radius than the standard
LEGO geometry (but we didn't use it in our layout).  He's rather handy with the
knife and paintbrush, but personally it seems like "cheating" to me...  :-)

--Bill.