 Trains / 18553
Re: opening / repairing 12v grey transformer 7864
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 17:45:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sonnich Jensen writes:
Please let us know the result

Esger Abbink <e.abbink-no-spam-plz@chello.nl> wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a couple of transformers that apparently dont work anymore but • may
very well be easily repairable. However I cant seem to find a way to open
them up without damaging the housing beyond repair.

Does anyone have a clue how to get to the internals?

thanks,

Esger

Well, I just drilled out the six plugs. (I already thought they would have
something to do with keeping it closed but I though they maybe could be
pushed in or something)

From the remains of the plugs it is clear you have to destroy them. They are
designed to snap in place and cant be removed (unless you already have
access to the inside if opening was performed somewhat more drastical).

I used a wood drill (has a point to keep it centered and goes through quite
easy) to remove the plugs. In most places it is actually not even that much
of a deal if you go in with the drill after the plug is gone. However, to
minimize damage I suggest you try to limit the drill entering to not more
than 3-4 mm, max 5 mm (measured from the outside). This is probably easiest
achieved if you use a cylinder of some sort (wood/cork) and drill straight
through it. Then adjust everything to the right lengths and drill out the
plugs using the cylinder as a stop.

I havent repaired the insides yet so I havent closed it up again but I think
a small screw and hollow-wall-plug (not sure if that is what its called in
english) should do just fine.

thanks for the tip,

Esger