 Local / United Kingdom / 8807
Re: GWLTS photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:29:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Mark Palmer writes:

I was thinking of a Lego one, a real one with a working boat would be
outstanding. I think
it should have a glass (perspex) side so you can see underwater!

Mark

I built a boat the other day but it wouldn't float upright even with four
airtanks holding it up on outriggers. I tried to motorise it but when I
placed the motor on board the whole thing tipped and I had to lift the motor
off again before it got wet.

A dry system would be much better. You could line the canals with blue tiles
and have the boats run on wheels. If they followed the walls they could even
be guided like a track. You could even build a lock. The 'water' would be an
elevating platform. The door on the high water end would only hinge in line
with the water. The rest of that door would be hidden by the raised
platform. When this door was closed behind the boat the lower fake section
of the door would be revealed once the platform had been lowered. The low
end door would be normal.

A dry system would not only be a heck of a lot simpler (and cheaper) but it
wouldn't need any depth so could be easily incorporated into a town layout
built on base plates.

Steve

"James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message

Did anyone of you made plans to build a canal with a stone bridge, • inn and
a canal-boat yet?

I've thought of this, but working out how to build a module with a • canal
and still keep the flexibility of the module system is the challange.

Q- are you meaning a watertight canal?  Or just a lego one?  I have • ideas as to
how to manage a watertight one, but haven't done anything about it • yet...lack
of time.  They involve wooden U shaped boxs, fiberglass resin and • vasoline to
seal joints - not sure if it would work, since I haven't tried it yet.

One problem is that it would have to be ~6" deep or so, to get the • boat and
motor through (IIRC 4" is possible, but not nice)

James P