 Local / United Kingdom / 8790
Re: GWLTS photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:39:17 GMT

I particularly liked the old time locomotive (early 4.5V?) with a • layout in
front of it... great vignette, and a nice goof on where you were. What
building was that in?

The Museum is in the former Great Western Railway (GWR*) works in
Swindon,
where many Steam locomotives were built in the heydays of steam, for
more
information have a look at the STEAM museum website,

    http://www.steam-museum.org.uk/

In BR days the works were used to produce locomotoves and for repair,
the works
closed in the 70's (I think) and have now been converted into a shopping
centre,
(outlet mall). The actual buildings themseleves are great examples of
Victorian,
Brunel, architecture.

The museum is dedicated to the GWR and features displays etc depicting
life
around the railway, e.g. works, goods, a replica station, as well as
locomotives.

Mark

* GWR also standing for God's Wonderfull Railway