 Star Wars / 2927
Re: "There are always possibilities" (possible braod Ep. II Spoilers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:06:41 GMT

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 01:22:02 GMT, "Kevin B" <kevinb01@netfocus.net> wrote:

But, I agree with the person who said that JJB had too much of an "Uncle
Tom's Cabin" kind of accent.  I was just waiting for a "Massuh" or a
"Yeesuh" thrown in there.

Really?  I was expecting a "I don' know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies!"
(I hope I didn't mangle that quote too badly).

And in the victory parade, weren't the Gunga (Gungans?) just a bit, umm,
funky?  As in, "get down, get funky".

Was there any portrayal of 'non-mainstream cultures' in this film that
didn't have racial-stereotype undertones?

At least there were positive instances of non-causcasian characters. George
managed to get that one right, this time.  (I don't consider Lando
Calrissian a 'positive instance')  I don't remember if the full human
rainbow was represented, or just the extreme hues.

obLongTimeThreads: Anyone notice the tan hands on the Jar Jar minifig?  Now
if they just make some brown hands, we can make racial minifigs!  As long
as they keep the blast shields down, anyway.

Steve