 Star Wars / 2926
Re: Questions (possible spoiler)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 12:59:54 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Kevin Bane writes:>Even though it might have been legal to
steal (and I SERIOUSLY doubt that
the Hutts would consider theft as "legal", especially if it was their
property that was pilfered), does not give a Jedi the reason to forgo their
OWN moral ethics.  What raises them above the rabble (other than really cool
weapons) is the fact that they uphold the highest of ethics and moral
values.  They are the epitome of what is right an just in the universe.

I am interested in the =source= of these "highest of ethics and moral
values."  Did the Jedi just invent them or are they inherent to humans?  Are
they the product of random chance or something inbuilt by a power higher than
the force?  Yet, if this is merely a "power" than it can also be set aside at
whim, while if the higher power is personal, as in a Creator, than it would
seem that the ethics and morals are not optional.  This also means that-- far
from being some arbitrary constraints put on humans (Jedi & others) to limit
the "fun" they have, such standards are actually condusive to the greatest and
highest quality of life possible--one that involves the experience of joy
(which quality btw is one of three "goals" of Buddhism).  Do not mistake me; I
am not reducing the greatest of lives possible to adherence to an outward
ethical norm but their "intrinsic" attainment by the very force itself
intering a human and calling him or her into the deepest union between Creator
and created; except this force that I just mention is not a force but actually
a Person--one of Three whom a great, ancient oriental (but now world)
tradition calls God: Three Persons in One, a Mystery and something, or
Someone, that shows that Reality is stranger than fiction, even the fiction of
SW.  So, if ethics are not to be set aside at whim, then from my perspective
the "epitome" of holding to them is as a "by-product" of a life lived in
participation with God--Who is Life.  That is, not as a reward or as a matter
of attainment, but as a matter of God-the-Creator living within.  And
existence is not a matter of following rules but of sharing in the intimate
life of the Three-Personed God, outside of which participation one remains in
the realm of death.  Death indeed is an impersonal "force" that has invaded
the universe but which man overcomes in his or her unity with the man-
befriending Creator, who is Life and in whom is life.

Oh, I hope the mention of God and Creator are not offensive.  I mean, there
has been mention of Buddha (a great great teacher) and also Hinduism, so I
hope we can maintain the politeness and mutual acceptance of varied
opinions/options here.

Alan C.
pseudo philospher
Orthodox Christian