 Star Wars / 2858
Re: Questions (possible spoiler)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:03:33 GMT

[Spoiler space reintroduced]

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 03:29:28 GMT, "J-Men HQ" <jmen@visi.net> wrote:

Seems to me that QGJ was doing a lot of what most would call dishonest, if
not downright evil, things with the Force.

Well, no one seemed to mind when Obi-Wan or Luke did it in the first
trilogy... "These aren't the droids you're looking for" and "You will take
me to Jabba now" etc, etc.

But the use of the JMT in the 'first' trilogy was typically for immediate
goals.

Obi-wan's uses were particularly defendable.  I think he only did two
JMT's:

1. The infamous "these aren't the droids you're looking for" scene.
2. Hiding from stormtroopers on the Death Star (at the tractor beam
controls).

In both cases, he directed his efforts at people who were overtly the
enemy, and what he did was to avoid detection.

Luke was just an idiot.

In TPM, QGJ uses his power for direct improvement of his lot.  Trying to
get a business-being to accept an invalid form of payment is just evil.

BTW, has the idea that the force "gives you power over weak minds" been
tossed aside for EP1:TPM?  QGJ uses his power against beings who *I*
wouldn't construe as being weak-minded.

I think Jedi believe that the ends justify the means. They look at the
bigger picture. It seems foolish to be stopped by an "inconvenience" such as
a bad hyper-drive and Wattoo's refusal to take his money.. He needed those
parts! Heck if he's gonna let some flapping blue freak stop him. Much bugger
things were at stake here.

Then why didn't he just wait until night-time, and use the Force to swipe
the parts he needed?  He could have left the cash on the counter, and
self-justified his actions that way.

QGJ was doing some no-no's in this flick.  In my mind, at least.

Steve