 Star Wars / 2894
Re: Questions (possible spoiler)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:29:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:49:30 GMT, "Roger Connor" <hokiepoke@aol.com> wrote:

In regards to Jedi ethics - Tatooine is not governed by rule of law. It is
instead governed by crime lords- Hutts. Thus Qui Gonn stealing a power • whatsit
or using undue Jedi mind tricks is perfectly in line with the law of the • land.
What is "legal" in one place may be a capital crime in another.

Oh, I apologize.  I thought the Jedi Knights stood for higher, universal
values.  Ideals like honor and justice.

I've always _liked_ the fact that Jedi aren't all goodness and light.  I like
the fact that GL emphasized that in TPM.  They're not some ridiculous epitome
of honor and justice, in the same way that paladins aren't.  They have a code
that they follow,(1) but they aren't held to outrageous standards.  Much the
same as a paladin, they will quite happily do whatever is necessary to get the
job done.

Also, don't hold the SW universe to the same code of ethics/morals that ours
has - nowhere in any of the movies do I recall even the implication that mind
control is considered wrong in that setting.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

1: And, in fact, we don't even really know this, it's just implied with that
whole light side/dark side thing.