 Star Wars / 2900
Re: "There are always possibilities" (possible braod Ep. II Spoilers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 18:01:51 GMT

Jonathan wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Tom McDonald writes:
<possible spoilerage>

I occasionally found it difficult, if not impossible, to understand his
dialogue, as his accent was often affected to the point of unintelligibility.
I think the Jar-Jar character would have sounded much better with a
lower-pitched voice.

The trade federation toadies also suffered from unintelligibility, but not as
much. I understand these are not supposed to be "English" speaking characters,
but the audience here in America is, and if we can't readily understand them,
then either redub the voiceovers or use subtitles.

It is also quite likely the theatre in which I saw the movie twice(1) suffers
from an inferior sound system, but I thought all that was supposed to be taken
care of.

-Tom McD.
when replying, meesa gonna cuddout da spamcake.

I don't think the quality of the sound system has a tremendous amount to do
with the unintelligibility of both Jar Jar and the trade fed toadies. I'm not
sure what the condition of your theater, but here, they seem to be popping up
all over the place. What I'm saying is that most of the theaters here in
Philadelphia, PA are brand new. I can think of 4, all within 20 minutes of me
that have been built within the past 3 years. They have all the state of the
art equipment, etc. The one, in particular, that I saw TPM in is less than a
year old. I sat in a spot where I could here even the most miniscule sound
(though I'm surprised I could hear anything after the pod race), but I still
had trouble with all three of these characters. I strongly agree with you about
subtitles. If they were going to stretch it that far from English, subtitles
would be helpful. With Jar Jar they could've done something like they did with
Chewie and R2-D2 where whoever they're talking to, sort of repeats the
question.
-Jonathan

I have to say that despite hearing many comments about how hard it was
to understand Jar Jar, I only found myself straining a couple times to
understand what he said. I had more problems with the Trade Federation
dudes (their speach sounded more slurred to me).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com