 Star Wars / 2935
Re: "There are always possibilities" (possible braod Ep. II Spoilers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 17:15:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Steve Bliss writes:
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 01:22:02 GMT, "Kevin B" <kevinb01@netfocus.net> wrote:
<snip>

And in the victory parade, weren't the Gunga (Gungans?) just a bit, umm,
funky?  As in, "get down, get funky".

Well, maybe a bit. But it was kinda entertaining anyway. Yet I'm not for the
continuation of the Jar Jar character if it's not in GL's story, even
with public support, because it is GL's story. I didn't tell GL how to write
his story, and I don't want me or anyone else dictating to him how to write it.

Was there any portrayal of 'non-mainstream cultures' in this film that
didn't have racial-stereotype undertones?

I'm not intending to argue, but I suppose it could be difficult to come up with
how the Gungans themselves were to act: they have intelligence, technology,
government, etc.; they're humanoid, but not human. IMO you've got pretty much
all the ingredients of humanity except that they're not human and thus need to
act "not quite so human". So what do you do? I don't know, but they've got to
have some kind of typical species behavior. This may not be easy to figure out
because examples of sentient non-human behavior are extremely limited. If some
outer-space alien is doing something or talking "strange", it just might be
done in one of the myriads of (sub)cultures here on earth. Then parallels made
to existing races can often be drawn: thus a stereotype can easily be
established, and sometimes where none was intended.

I suppose the best thing would be to drop the association of the Gungans with
any human culture.

At least there were positive instances of non-causcasian characters. George
managed to get that one right, this time.  (I don't consider Lando
Calrissian a 'positive instance')  I don't remember if the full human
rainbow was represented, or just the extreme hues.

Well, that could make for a very large cast of characters. There's also a *lot*
of non-humans to think about. I don't consider Lando a positive instance
either.

obLongTimeThreads: Anyone notice the tan hands on the Jar Jar minifig?

Cool gloves.

Now
if they just make some brown hands, we can make racial minifigs!  As long
as they keep the blast shields down, anyway.

(mixing paradigms) Warning: we have entered the neutral zone.. warning: we have
entered the neutral zone..  ;-)

-Tom McD.
when replying, note that in TPM, no character represented sentient spamcake.