 Star Wars / 2906
Re: "There are always possibilities" (possible braod Ep. II Spoilers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 22:25:40 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Terry Keller writes:
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:30:36 GMT, "Tom McDonald" • <radiotitan@spamcake.yahoo.com>
wrote:

It is also quite likely the theatre in which I saw the movie twice(1) suffers
from an inferior sound system, but I thought all that was supposed to be • taken
care of.

-Tom McD.
when replying, meesa gonna cuddout da spamcake.

Shouldn't that be 'yousa betta cuddout da spamcake'?

Oh yeah. hehe

(1) Much of the reason I went the second time was to try and understand more • of
the lines I couldn't make out before.(2)
(2) I even sat in a different place in the theatre thinking that I might be • in
a "dead spot".(3)
(3) I might go again just to make sure ;-)

Kind of a tangential thought, but do hearing impaired theatres exist?  Or even
a theatre with the equivalent of closed-captioning?  I don't ever recall • seeing
anything like that in a regular theatre.(1)

They do. Certain seats in certain theatres supposedly have headphones (or the
equivalent). I've never heard of closed-captioning though. Sometime I'll have
to ask someone I know who works at a deaf school.

I would think that with all the attention to handicap access and the ADA
(Americans with Disabilities Act, for those in other countries), that this
would be available.

Well... I'll stay away from that discussion :)

-- Terry K --
1. Not quite what I had in mind, but:
I do recall seeing "Total Recall" in a Korean theatre.  The voices were all
dubbed into Korean, and they had english subtitles.  The subtitles were, for
some strange reason, printed vertically on the right side of the screen.  Very
challenging to read.  :-)
In that particular instance, I guess I was the person with the handicap.(2)(3)

IIRC, and IYDAK, Korean like some other Asian languages reads from top to
bottom first rather than left to right, or right to left (as is the case with
Lebanese), so they probably have their subtitling system already set up that
way for their own subtitled movies.

2.  Talk about handicap access!  Not! The practice at that theatre apparently
was to keep admitting people until no more could be forced through doors.
Standing room only, ***holes to elbows.  And I mean that literally.
Somehow I think the phrases "code enforcement" and "maximum occupancy" do not
translate into Korean.

Dang. I hate it when my milk duds get squished.

3.  And to this day, the thought of dried, pressed squid makes me gag.

Regardless of whether I've been to Korea or not that thought makes me gag
anyway.

-Tom McD.
when replying, don't keep on admitting the spamcake.