 Star Wars / 2843
Re: "There are always possibilities"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 06:05:05 GMT

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 00:40:18 GMT, "David Simmons" <alienbuz@concentric.net>
wrote:

I will be the first person to say that the only good part of "Titanic" was
watching the damn thing sink, and even that took too long!  However,  I'm
not totally opposed to the idea of DiCaprio playing this part.  Lest we
forget, he started out displaying some pretty terrific acting chops in one
so young.  I'm referring to his excellent portrayal of a retarded brother to
Johnny Depp in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and was also very good as a
hooked and then recovering heroin addict in "The Basketball Diaries."  I'd
be surprised if they cast him solely for his appeal to teenage girls, an
audience which has never been drawn in large numbers to boy-oriented science
fiction (is there another kind?  :-]  ).

IMHO, it will all depend on the director, and frankly, I hope that it's not
George.  Twenty years off the job is bound to make anybody rusty, and from
what I hear about the acting in Episode 1, this is a fact.  But then, these
films were never about great acting in the first place!  Empire was by far
the best of the three, so bring back Irvin Kershner!  I'll bet he could do
it, and Leonardo has demonstrated he has the ability, he just needs the
right guy sitting in the chair.

Dave

OK, how about this:  Have James Cameron direct.  :-)

Not because of Titanic, but because of his other directing credits, Aliens and
T2.   How often can it be argued that a sequal is as good or better than the
original?

-- Terry K --