 Star Wars / 2832
Re: Adding fuel to the fire
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:27:20 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jonathan Little writes:

Personally, I'm of the school that it wouldn't be *so* bad.

eric

Personally, I don't like the idea at all. I, for one, liked Titanic, very much
. . .except for Leo. I thought they could have gotten someone else to play the
part, much better. If I were the casting director, I would've gone for
somebody
with a little more boyish charm  . . . someone a little more innocent seeming.
It would have grabbed the audience's sympathy a bit more and would have made
the bad guy seem all the more bad.

Ha!  Actually, that was the one thing *I* didn't like about Titanic...  though
all the characters were fairly two-dimensional, Billy Zane may as well have
turned to the camera every time he entered a scene and said, "Hi, folks.  I
just want to remind you- I'm evil!  I'm bad!  DOn't like me!"

I actually sort of liked the idea that Leo's character wasn't all that
innocent.  How could he have survived in the world the way he did and stayed
innocent?

Besides... you you really want Anakin to retain is innocence through the next
two movies?

ANYWAY, back to SW. First off, DV becames
this big hulking guy.

Courtesy of machine augmentation.

Leo is this skinny, little thing. I mean, granted, Luke
wasn't anything massive (so you'd have the whole father-son resemblance
going),
but for DV to end up well over 6 ft and sporting the bulk that he is, it would
be nice to see it represented in who ever lays Anakin in episode II.
   I've actually heard a rumor that I thought was pretty vast, but nobody has
brought it up yet. Maybe it's already been killed . . . I don't know. Anway,
what I heard was that James Van Der Beek was in the running for the role.

I've heard that, too.

He's
kind of an unknown (unless you're familiar with the teen-hit, "Dawson's
Creek").

Or the teen movie "Varsity Blues" which was a fairly large hit last year.

I don't know too much about him, but physically, he'd fit the part.

I dunno... is he really THAT much bigger than Leo?

And my sister adores him . . .thinks he's the greatest actor that ever lived
(of course, she's only 13, so what does she know?).

Heh.  Indeed.

Of the two, I'd rather see Leo, but of the whole world, I'd rather see someone
else.  ANYONE else, almost...

Hey, I was a theatre major in college... I kind looked like Jake Lloyd as a
kid... I'm not too small... maybe I should try out! :D

eric