 Publishing / 3880
Re: Story crafting (was Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:50:42 GMT

Hi Matt,

Just delurking to adding my two-cents. Of all the books on writing that I've
read, Kit Reed's "Story First: The Writer As Insider" is, by far, the
easiest to digest. She writes in a pretty straightforward, conversational
tone. It's not genre-specific, it's just about story elements and writing -
invaluable advice no matter what theme you've got going. It hits all the
high notes, dialogue, plot, characters, but also things like how to tell if
a scene is moving. Showing verses telling. Plus the whole writing process.

It's a great beginner book; I can't recommend it enough. It's one of those
books that helped me formulate a writing philosophy (well, that and the HHGG
- mmm, hope that doesn't invalidate my opinion here - *le sigh*)

Unfortunately, Amazon.com lists it as out-of-print, but there are used
copies floating about. Your local library might also carry one. I've had
mine for years and I constantly come back to it and have lent it to friends
and whatnot (it's the only book I'll actively keep track of once it's left
my possession - more so now that it's OOP).

[I'm not sure where on the thread this post should go, so I'm just tacking
it onto the last response - my apologies if it's out of place]

Groove on.

-Evil Wayne
"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
http://www.geocities.com/legomaniac70