 Castle / 15345
Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:23:53 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Kevin Wilson writes:
David Eddings goes into quite a lot of detail as to how he creates worlds
(for his series the Belgariad and the Tamuli) in his book "The Rivan Codex".
Worth a look if that's what you're doing.

Is it based on the computer game genre 'Riven' by any chance?
Probably not, sounds deftly similar, though.

Matt, I second a lot of the advice given here. You have plot, you have
characters - you've got the creative part sussed! What you need is the
technique, the craft of writing, and that takes learning and practice. So go
to it! I highly recommend a dictionary for those $5 words: if you don't use
them correctly, you lose both the people who don't understand them AND the
people who do, leaving you with a rather small audience :-(

Thanks for the advice! How far did you read into the
story? (just evaluating. You're the test audience so I
highly value those comments.)

Got a dictionary, might need an Oxford version, as
someone took the heart to suggest earlier. I'm toning
down the five dollar words though in my next chapter.
Attaining a creative equilibrium between the spectrums
of extremity and vagueness proves difficult, though
I can say the motion of finding the solution is
always truely captivating. :)

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y