 Castle / 15362
Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 04:11:54 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek writes:
I know some people don't like Orson Scott Card, and some do. But this book
of his _How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy_ is chock full of good
advice. Amazon(tm) has it, it's a bit more than a regular paperback but
worth the price, at least it was to me.
Writing to engage the reader is a lot different than writing
documentation... The big takeaway for me was the different TYPES of story...
are you writing a character driven story, or a big idea story, or a millieu
story, or a historic event story? Deciding that helps a lot because it gives
you structure for what you want to accomplish, or at least an approach.

Well, I've got quite a nice list of books to peruse
for christmas vacation. (not a bad collection, as that :)

However, what if you were trying to fuse
story types? For example, let's say you're
writing the book in a historic stance, yet
it's character driven. (kind of like a
bible epic?) Throw in a very large idea like
a religious theory into it, how would that
be classified? All three, or forced into
one type depending on the dominant trait?

<snip>

There ARE other books out there on how to write better fantasy. I just
happen to like this one. Also googling for some tips on writing might not be
bad.. for example try this search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=how+to+write+fantasy&btnG=Google+Search

Remember, whenever you want to buy stuff from Amazon, go via the Lugnet(tm)
link so the site gets a little help...

Well, thanks for the reccommendation!

Anyhow, I believe I'll take the tip and scout
for more techniques.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y