 Castle / 15355
Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 22:49:27 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:
This is precisely why writing is an artform and not a science.  There is no
real way to measure exactly when something is too detailed or not enough, and
there is always variation in your readers.

Ah, finally more interesting discussion in this thread. :)

My advice is to provide only what detail is REQUIRED by the story, that is,
what details are important to the development of the characters and the plot.
For example, if you talk about a princess wearing a purple dress- is there
anything important in that dress?  is purple saying something, even if
metaphorically, to the audience? if it isn't, then who cares?  This can be a
difficult concept to accept, because writers tend to put more detail in rather
than less.

Yes, I was wondering when someone would eventually state
something to that extent...right now I'm looking for
rather metaphorical ideas for detail. (something
which seems rather difficult.)

However, it's sometimes difficult for the reader to
visualize the scenery if little description is
provided. (I guess that's where imagination comes in.)
Otherwise, I'm trying to place small references in
description. (for example, when Skye looks at the
imperial logo of faiye, she sees it not as a falcon,
but as a bird of prey, which would possibly
serve as a harbinger to greater conflict. (?)

one of my favorite authors is Milan Kundera, and also Franz Kafka.  Both of
these guys are masters of the important detail.  They know that your
imagination will fill in everything else to put a picture in your mind, but
they convey everything that is needed for the story (plot, characters, mood)
progress.  The effect is very rich writing, because meaning is behind every
word and detail, and nothing is without purpose.
Kundera's -Unbearable Lightness of Being- and Kafka's -The Trial- are two
examples of the mastery of controlled detail.
also check out Kundera's The Art of the Novel, as a guide to writing.

I'll place that on my -to eventually review- list as well.

I would argue against seeking clarity, per se, but rather using description
and vagueness both.  Like two colors on a palette, used when you want them.
Sometimes vagueness is excellent in expressing a certain meaning and a certain
mood, while description expresses another.

Well, that was truely helpful advice...I'm pressed to cast
Argent in a more mysterious light, so as the reader believes
he represents one stance, yet in the end, he turns out much
different than the reader anticipated.

the whole question is: what is it you want to convey, and what is the best way
to do that.
ps. i haven't taken time yet but to peruse your story, and my comments are
based on my philosophy of writing in responce to the discussion i've read so
far.

And that's good to hear...let me know (if you decide
to read the story, anyway) what you believe would
serve further to refine it.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y