 Castle / 15328
Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 18:28:48 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:

   Hi Matt,

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
Thanks!
That, or if you really worked at it, those interested in a slow building
tension based around thoughts more then events (eg Tolkien's black riders in
'The Fellowship of the ring, the book not the movie! The movie misses the
book's main use of these characters which is seeing them at this point or
this point and knowing they hold a strategic point here or there... Without
having directly seen the event or means. Warning: this requires extreme
skill and even then must be contrasted, eg the rest of LOTR, again the book).

Hmm...seems plausable enough. Oddly, though, I haven't
yet taken the liberty to read Tolkein's trilogy yet
(possibly due to the fact I don't want to subconsciously
take some of the ideas and use them.) I'll probably give
it a read, though.

  I was more meaning that you need a some new simple characters (or masses)
whose reactions are easier to follow and who are perhaps holders of much
less rank. It is much easier to show a character, whatever you want to show,
by having a lot of 'understandable' people around him and then expressing
him by the differences in his reactions and attitude towards them.

Hmm...so you're basically saying to throw in a character
of lesser rank who differs from the opinions of those
around him.

   Not as far as I would have liked (and I think I accidently started a few
chapters in (the top of the 2 links you gave). I am very short on time right
now (hence my absence of late) but hopefully after Christmas I can come back
and give a more thourough opinion.

Well, any reads are good...I look forward to
your opinions.

  In the segment I read (and it was probably just that a segment) I
couldn't quite tell where I was and without any actions except leaning out
of the window, I found it hard to follow the conversation.

That was probably a disasterous segment. (I was trying to
show how Dash and Skye grow closer, yet differ in opinions.
Guess that was kind of pointless.)

   Since you seem to like dialouge I would suggest you take another hint
from Tolkien and read the chaapter in the Fellowship about the council at
Elrond's. Here over 20 characters speak or are quoted, the entire plot is
outlined, it is the longest chapter in the early part of the book, you don't
know half the characters, and nothing happens. Yet by accents, speech
patterns and inteligent unexpected ordering of understanding you find it
both interesting and perfectly clear.

Yet another incentive to join the Tolkein following...I'll take
the hint and look for it.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast