 Castle / 15359
Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 01:15:40 GMT

Hi Matt,

Stuff like "terra incognito" isn't the problem.

The following:
******
“Hmm…you continue to demean such an epitome principle as rank, yet in your
stance, never waiver from its respective boundaries…” Dash spoke, as he
continued.

“If you are to emerge prevalent from conflict, you must take upon yourself
such vicarious policy so as to renounce rank, and thusly assimilate with the
common citizenry. Only then, will your fellow people question the ideals of
the aggressor, and exist in a harmonious state with the republic of Faiye…”

“And yet, you continue to apostrophize and preach to me the antics such an
intricate social phenomena…why do you not, yourself, carry arms against such
a ‘venomous’ principle?”

“I represent the nonconformist…the Egalitarian entity…I do not believe in
such frivoling so called ‘apotheosis’ as an hierarchical state…all citizens
have inherent right to their words, not just those branded worthy, as
pertaining to their theology, name and respective affiliation…” He spoke,
looking towards Skye continuing his statement.
*****

... is really, really hard to follow.

This too, is hard to follow:
*****
“Very well, Sergei…ludicrous you would despise me based on common ‘rank’…I
believe your perceptions on a class based society are in their entirety,
completely radicalized.” Ludan spoke harshly, as he eyed Sergei, continuing
his statement,

“...and negate in variance to the truth…do you not happen to find it
conflicting you speak in the same manner of that in which you claim,
oppresses the citizenry?”
****

I've noticed that you've already worked on rewriting. Now I'm starting to
understand more. Thanks.

Alan

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.castle, Alan Findlay writes:
Hi Matt,

I too think that it would be a good idea to dive a bit into LOTR. Not,
however, to get story/character ideas. You are taking the correct path, IMO,
in creating your own world and creatures.

Definitely...trying to be original for once,
since I noticed the growing collections of
fan fiction that people always seem to write.

The value from LOTR, I believe, will come from the way Tolkien writes
dialogue. This has been my biggest stumbling block with your story. I've
tackled the scene with Skye and Dash a couple of more times, and I'm still
confused about who's on what side of the secular/theocracy issue, or what
social stigma's are attributed to whom for associating with the other (clear
as mud?). The dialogue between Ludan and Sergei is also confusing.

Guess I'm due to read Tolkein's works, then...when
writing the dialogue, I attempted to reveal the
arrogance of Skye to remain with the aristocracy,
and somehow I drifted into the theocacy debate.
That, and the whole 'society bans us from speaking'
factor. I am seriously rconsidering rewriting the
entire dialogue for both that selection and Ludan's
scene.

I have no problem with a scene that is essentially dialogue, with only a few
references to surroundings, so I'm not trying to tell you to kill the scene.
Rather, I'm trying to understand it.

No, I don't intend to kill the scene, since that
would seriously throw the story off its original
intentions.

Tolkien was able to convey through dialogue whether someone was a commoner
or aristocracy. It wasn't necessarily through using big words, so the
aristocracy was able to talk in a way that us commoners could still follow
the story.

Still yet another incentive to delve into the
Tolkein continguincy...I'll figure it out,
eventually...

I would suggest for the dialogue trying a two-step process for re-writing.
First, have the characters speak in plain language that's easy to follow.

I could replace some words and place an asterisk
next to certain phrases, so as to signify them.
For example, since few people know that the phrase
'terra incognita' means unexplored area od knowledge,
I could place an asterisk next to it, then write
a small entry in the index.

I'll include more plain language, although I'd
like characters like Argent, Dash and Skye to
exhibit more flamboyant phrases. (since they
are highly cultured.)

Second, once the message of the dialogue is clearly set out, "punch up" the
language a bit, sometimes through words, but also through the character's
attitude or posture. Try thinking a little bit of Shakespeare, just to get
the mood.

Okay, mood, posture, facial expression, tone of voice.
All of these seem viable enough...
I read some Shakespeare, and If I recall, some of his
works are equally cluttered with uncommon phrases.
(then again, probably only the higher educated would
read it, per se.)

Well, that's my latest two cents. Hope it has some value for you.
Alan

As always, any comments whatsoever have value.
Imput is always welcome.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y