 Castle / 15377
Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:20:45 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mark Jordan writes:
Matt,

Your mis-use of long words is too frequent to catalogue.
If you honestly knew what they meant, why mis-use them?

Nice question. Let's get down to the specifics.

1. I wrote the original manuscript for this story
over two years ago. Have you taken a second look
at the writing yet? (you'll notice I really toned
down a lot of the words in part three.)

2. I was trying to use some words in a rather
unconventional way. (when I tried to pin
Militancy on Ludan's council, it just didn't work.)

3. The dictionary I have is really poor.
(not to mention its a 'Winston's
Simplified Dictionary' 1926.) Not sure
if some of those words in there even
exist anymore.

4. Since I read the paper, (every day) I
pick out specific words that look
interesting. I can't help it, I'm wordy.
(it's a curse, I'm afraid...:)

Oh, in case you wondering (or noticed already)
yes, I'm working on the first and second parts
to modify as well.

(Maybe my arguments were hard to justify. I
had a headache yesterday. Ouch. :)

If you plan to use long words, I suggest you check each and every one with a
dictionary - preferably one that has quotations from other works of >literature.

I'll get one of them soon. Someone
earlier suggested I procure a copy
of the Oxford dictionary.

Also, as an exercise, I suggest you read some Hemingway. He manages to get a
lot meaning into a few words. As another exercise, why not try writing one
chapter without the use of adverbs, adjectives, or complex words. Imagine you
are writing for kids....

Oh, look at this. Another nice set of readings
to add to my -to read- list.

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y