 Castle / 15368
Re: Story crafting (was Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:47:04 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Larry Pieniazek writes:

What is the desired focus? That something is set in a particular time period
does not in and of itself make it milleau... if the characters are what
drive the story, it's still character. It's not a forcing per se I don't
feel, but a way to ensure you have focus on what is necessary and what isn't.

The desired focus by far would probably be event
driven. (with a small amount of character thrown
in as well.)

Certainly you can have multiple foci but I would leave that to very
experienced writers to pull off successfully.

Take the Star Wars saga for example. Focus on "A New Hope" for instance This
is primarily an "events" story. Sure, there's a milleau (which makes it very
fascinating) but it's a backdrop for the story. Not a lot of time is spent
exploring how gadgets work or the particulars of societies.

Okay, I haven't really gone into explanation of those,
(technology) although there would be some minor
inclusions when it comes to certain phenomena (magick
for example. I'll just word that into a dialogue,
and avoid all out explanation.)

you are thrown in and expected to catch up on your own. Sure
there's character development, but Luke's becoming a Jedi
is NOT the entire focus of the story, per se.

No, revealing Luke's path t the Jedi would
be rather boring for a first story.

Sure there are ideas, but they are secondary to the excitement of flying
down the trench and blowing things up.
Hope that helps. I'm a never published writer so take that with a grain of
salt. But I'm an avid reader and I know what I like. Epic, or to a lesser
extent character driven are often the most fun to read. Ideas can seem
rather pontificatorial if not done right, and milleau stories tend not to be
very engaging at all since not much happens.

So, the overall focus here to work on something that
will engage the reader, but still provide a small
amount from each genre. (incorporate small elements
from character driven and millieu stories.) Sounds
interesting.

I'm a latecomer so I don't know where the FUT belongs but I would tend to
think it's out of .general at this point ??

Well, it is a castle based story. Have you
taken a few moments to review my story yet? If
so, a few comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

<<_Matt Hein_>>
Fellow lego enthusiast
O s p r e y