 Castle / 15335
Re: Please read this!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:25:30 GMT

  Hi Matt,

SNIP
Hmm...seems plausable enough. Oddly, though, I haven't
yet taken the liberty to read Tolkein's trilogy yet
(possibly due to the fact I don't want to subconsciously
take some of the ideas and use them.) I'll probably give
it a read, though.

    I have read LOTR and the Simeraillion sp? (which I prefer). I am in less
danger then yourself of stealing ideas since I, while not historicaly
accurate, encompace no magic or weird creatures in my writing. LOTR is
almost a must read both for its wonderful messages and the way it is a
monument to creative kingdom/story/land building. If you are interested in
writing (like myself) I would recommend you read the simeraillion because it
shows a monument under construction (encouraging if you would like to create
something in the book/world area.)

SNIP

Hmm...so you're basically saying to throw in a character
of lesser rank who differs from the opinions of those
around him.

  No I mean a world of characters from the stable boy to a random person on
the street. How can your characters stand out the way you want unless
different to the mass?

SNIP

Well, any reads are good...I look forward to
your opinions.

   I'll try to after Christmas but no guarantees as I am also moving.

SNIP

   Since you seem to like dialouge I would suggest you take another hint
from Tolkien and read the chaapter in the Fellowship about the council at
Elrond's. Here over 20 characters speak or are quoted, the entire plot is
outlined, it is the longest chapter in the early part of the book, you don't
know half the characters, and nothing happens. Yet by accents, speech
patterns and inteligent unexpected ordering of understanding you find it
both interesting and perfectly clear.

Yet another incentive to join the Tolkein following...I'll take
the hint and look for it.

   I am recommending as an author, if an my fan capacity I would have you
scrolling for years through my reasons. LOL.

          God Bless,

             Nathan