 People / 3057
3056  |  3058
Subject:
Leaders vs. Rulers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:37:51 GMT

In lugnet.people, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Personally, I think that the notion that a major message board can
remain friendly is naïve at best.  A "message board" like LUGNET is
the juxtaposition of people of many cultures, ages, interests, as well
as different levels of experience with electronic messages.  This
situation is bound to bring up misunderstandings and noise from time
to time.  In my experience, any message board or mailing list which
comprises more than just people who know each other well, does get
noisy from time to time.  It is only to be expected.

excellent point

With the size and growth of LUGNET, I think that a handful of people
cannot lead the whole of LUGNET by themselves.  Using the "community"
metaphor, I think it is perfectly ok for people other then the
uniformed police to gently lead people when they do something wrong.

also excellent,
in fact communities RELY on members to not only self-police
but to co-police each other.  Think about any football game
when an athlete gets angry and the other guys help calm him
down.

no one wants to see an eruption ;-)

but as a side note,
communities benefit GREATLY from visible and effective leadership.
I think you are confusing "Leaders" with "Rulers".

Rulers, on the whole, are useless.
Leaders can be inspiring and visionary,
and great fun at parties.

-paul