 People / 3030
Re: Lugnet's tailspin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:44:46 GMT

Hi Frank,

It's funny you know, last night before I even read your post, I was thinking
that the problems began around the time Todd stopped be involved in
LUGNET...

You are right Leadership is the answer but I can't see where that leadership
will come from, LUGNET has grown to a point that looking after it would be a
full time job...

--
Jason King
LugNet #665

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Jason King wrote:

Tim, although i don't know you that well i will be sorry to see you go. • I do
see how much you do for the Lego community, and I see your passion  for • the
Brick... Please reconsider you decision :-)))

I have also seen how many people get caught up in the less than great
aspects of LUGNET, I try to avoid the arguments, I have decided not to • read
off-topic debate at all because I don't come to LUGNET to read about all
those things.
I come to read about LEGO ... So please everyone take your arguments to
email or off-topic.debate so we don't all have to read it. If you have a
problem with an individual or their actions, email them, don't bring it • up
on a public forum which is simply for discussing LEGO ...

Some might say that I am putting my head in the sand .... Well so be it,
LUGNET is my little escape from Reality as it were. I would like to keep • it
that way..

The most worrying aspect of all this is the fact that if more and more
active members turn their back on LUGNET, LUGNET might cease to exist, • and
that would be a great shame...

That is a concern of many of us (including Tim). The nastiness level on
Lugnet just seems to be increasing constantly. I think there's a bunch
of reasons for it, but sticking our heads in the sand and hoping it will
go away will not cure the problem.

The biggest reason I see for the tailspin is that we no longer have
leadership. Back when I started, Todd and Suzanne both had vision and
active involvement which earned them recognition for leadership. With
Todd's withdrawal, many things on Lugnet just aren't able to be done
(though I realize Suzanne and Dan are trying to do things).

The whole "policing" mess is a result of a lack of leadership. If Lugnet
had real leadership, it wouldn't be an issue.

Another issue as some have mentioned is the "ownership" issue. Lugnet is
a collection of things:

- a very comprehensive set data base, ownership pretty clearly belongs
to Todd and Suzanne for making it possible, though the community has
contributed hugely

- a discussion area, the physical aspects of which clearly belong to
Todd and Suzanne.

- a community. This is where the problem of ownership comes in. No one
person owns the community. We all do.

Another major contributor is the growth. Lugnet has grown to the point
where we don't all know each other. Most of us no longer look at just
about every creation. We don't follow all of the newsgroups.

Growth of the community is not bad, but it may require new models.
Perhaps a one size fits all news group discussion area doesn't fit.
Perhaps many folks don't even really want/need to be a part of an
international community.

What we need to progress to the future is a way for those who are
interested in moving to the future to have a place to meet and build the
communities of the future. This needs to be done in a way which mostly
insulates the folk who just want to build (yet needs to be open enough
that anyone who cares has a voice).

Frank