 People / 3020
Re: On Hiatus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:27:57 GMT

In lugnet.people, Rico Lovelace writes:
Geezzzzzzz…
Where do I begin? • <snip>

Tim wasn't "just another user"...

That’s a biased personal statement, for it dozn’t matter if y’all
were special-terrific-friends, or like me, you had no clue who we was.
It’s all relative to the individual…lotsa people didn’t know or care about
who he waz…       But this is Not the point!

If I've read your clarifications right, your point is what is appropriate
for the highlights section.

he had passion

(I'm trying to control my *laughter* now…)
Passion?  ‘passion-smashion,’ we all enjoy the hobby and partake in our
individual wayz. He’s no more special than you or I…

I for one respect the amount of effort that Tim has put forth to further the
L-CAD community. The fact that he's earned more respect from me than the
average individual makes him special. It's all from a personal perspective,
so to each his own...

Its your attitude

My attitude… you’d better rethink your statement…
All I did was question the logistics towards highlighting a hiatus-post.
If you wanna have a discuss about the sad-state-of-affairs then talk directly
about it. But just don’t make some kid a martyr for your cause. And imply that
we’re falling apart cause the community iz breaking-down. And look at how we
are now starting to loose people…  COME_ON, he left cause he’s got his own
personal issues.

I agree that it's Tim's own personal issues that have caused him to take his
break from LUGNET, and that it's Time who has to address those issues. I
can't speak for him. All I can do is interpret what I have seen. What I have
seen developing is a more agressive side of LUGNET. A side that is willing
to pick at an issue or persons actions until there is nothing left to pick
at. Sort of like an unsuspecting ox wandering into piranha infested waters.
I wouldn't mind so much, but rarely is an issue fully resolved. The fracas
only seems to die down when the piranha get tired.

Try spending any time reading off.topic.debate

Thanks, but I'd rather not.
There’s enough continuous debate at my place of work that I don’t need to
partake in any outside quarrels. Heck, that’s why I'm here…TO GET AWAY FROM
THAT! This is my hobby, not my life… I don’t wanna debate with you people. I
just wanna enjoy the building process. An therefore, to summaries, I feel
that the announce board iz better left to creation announcements or consumer
newz…

I agree. I would rather see MOC announcements more often, but unfortunately
that's not how the board works. Whether it's intentional or unintentional is
up for debate and I am not in a position, nor knowledgeable enough in that
area, to debate it.

Tim DID NOT take the "easy way out".

Here, let me spell it out for you…
The ‘people’ who choose to highlight the post chose take the ‘easy way out’
not this Tim fellow…He’s a non-issue, only a result of the supposed
degradation on Lugnet. If the now-notorious highlighters really cared about
the community they’d take the effort to discuss the points of concern, and
not just click a button and say “LOOK, LOOK were loosing another!!!”

As one who highlighted the post (flame away if necessary, I won't respond),
I felt it was a good way to raise some awareness about the direction that
LUGNET has taken in the past several months. Easy way out? Maybe. I hope
that there is a little effort equity gained by posting this response.

I find it sad when prominent members of the LUGNET community have to take a
breather. This is supposed to be a hobby, something that is relaxing and
done in one's free time. The fact that a hobby can so stress a person out -
to the point of rejecting it for a time - just begs to be questioned. The
underlying issues have been brought up in other areas of LUGNET, but never
to any conclusion in my mind. It's time to take a closer look at those
issues so that the caustic elements can be identified and rectified,
allowing the community to begin healing where necessary and resume the
growth that it enjoyed in it's earlier years.

Among the issues that I allude to are

  -TOS enforcement and who is responsible for the subsequent mediation
  -Who "owns" what in a strictly volunteer and collaborative world
  -How to pay and who pays for the costs incurred for "free" services
  -How to continue growth of the Lego Community beyond the current plateau

Highlighting a post into the announce section dozn’t create change.

It's a highlight section. Anything of major interest can find its way in
there; MOCs, good sales, anything. To those of us who highlighted the post,
it is of major interest. Good, bad, right or wrong in the end it's a matter
of opinion.

Only coherent community strategy/planning will work.

Coherent being the key word.

That iz why I believe it dozn’t belong there.

That's your opinion and I can respect that.

BTW, I'm setting the FUT to .Debate because I'm tired of seeing this thread
show up on the news page. I would FUT to admin.general too, but there has
been enough debate there of late.

-Duane