 People / 3039
Re: Lugnet's tailspin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:44:39 GMT

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> writes:

That is a concern of many of us (including Tim). The nastiness
level on Lugnet just seems to be increasing constantly. I think
there's a bunch of reasons for it, but sticking our heads in the
sand and hoping it will go away will not cure the problem.

Personally, I think that the notion that a major message board can
remain friendly is naïve at best.  A "message board" like LUGNET is
the juxtaposition of people of many cultures, ages, interests, as well
as different levels of experience with electronic messages.  This
situation is bound to bring up misunderstandings and noise from time
to time.  In my experience, any message board or mailing list which
comprises more than just people who know each other well, does get
noisy from time to time.  It is only to be expected.

This doesn't mean that "we" shouldn't do our best to avoid noise, of
course.  But I think it is important to point out that some noise and
unfriendlyness from time to time, doesn't imply the swift demise of
the discussion forums.

The whole "policing" mess is a result of a lack of leadership. If
Lugnet had real leadership, it wouldn't be an issue.

With the size and growth of LUGNET, I think that a handful of people
cannot lead the whole of LUGNET by themselves.  Using the "community"
metaphor, I think it is perfectly ok for people other then the
uniformed police to gently lead people when they do something wrong.
In my experience, some USENET groups which do function well, comprise
devoted people who are respected for their behavior, not for their
uniform.  I don't like the word "policing" for their action, but it is
a fact that some USENET groups do function properly without any
leaders at all, due to the existence of these people.

Fredrik