 Off-Topic / Debate / 28075
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:47:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Karl Paulsen wrote:

   there seemed to be a trend toward more commentary on perceived Christian inconsistencies.

Hi Karl:

I don’t want to start a whole big thing here, but I think that “apparent” might be a better word to use than “perceived.” The latter carries a connotation of “not really there,” whereas the former admits that they do appear to be there, even if they aren’t really inconstencies.

Nonetheless, I must disclaim my view that there are indeed a whole range of inconsistencies in the often self-serving methods of biblical interpretation, dismissing some passages as “allegory” while embracing others as “literal truth,” without ever really explaining why one written law is conveniently discarded and another is held up as the gold standard.

Just my $0.02...

Dave!