 Off-Topic / Debate / 27985
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:13:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   Hi, Tim.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   I do think that the translation “Do you think I have come to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but hostility!” as used by the Reverand is probably not as accurate as “Do you think I have come to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division!” given the following statements. The implication of violent division does remain in the next bit of the passage.

As far as I understand it (though I am not fluent in ancient Greek myself) it is not merely the context that implies a violent division, but the Greek word itself. I realize that it is usually translated into English as simply “division”, but I suggest that this is a (purposefully?) toned down translation of a word which in Greek implies hostility, dissension, and strife.

Ahhh. That changes matters and explains your choice. I didn’t realise you actually went back to the original text at times. Impressive.

   As you pointed out, certainly the context makes that clear anyhow. Even if I were to switch to the more traditional translation of “division”, I think the illustrations would fit just as well. -Brendan

I agree completely. I raised the point merely to anticipate arguments about your choice of translations. The entire passage makes it pretty obvious that Jesus is inciting people to violence. Whether it is divisive or hostile violence doesn’t ultimately make much difference.

Tim