 Off-Topic / Debate / 28021
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 06:59:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Stangl wrote:
   John wrote:

   OK, then let me restate. I see no more reason to posit the existence of a Creator than I do Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy or the Christian God. It would seem the onus is not on me to disprove the existence of any hypothetical supernatural being someone might conjure up.

But the onus is on you to rationally explain how a universe suddenly just came into being.

Occam’s Razor - the onus is on YOU to explain how an omniscient being just came into being, then created the universe.

Here’s how: The omniscient, omnipotent being always was, by definition. Irrational? You bet.

   And if that being was created by another, who created *that* being (ad nauseum)?...

Why must you insist on making things more complex than they need to be?

Are you suggesting that this stuff is in some way simple?

   Except one explanation provides meaning and purpose, the other provides meaninglessness and hopelessness.

John, you’re a pessimistic, negative guy.

Though we’ve met a few times, you don’t really know me that well because I’m actually a very optimistic, positive person.

   Why does not believing in a Creator lead to meaningless and hopelessness? It surely doesn’t for me.

So where is the meaning and the hope for you then?

   I feel your belief is more meaningless, as it depends entirely on irrationally believing (your words) in an irrational being.

So you are saying that there is only meaning in the rational? Is there meaning in love? Can you explain love rationally?

JOHN