 Off-Topic / Debate / 28024
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:18:42 GMT

   Physicists and cosmologists are hard at work on the problem. But whatever the answer - a random quantum fluctuation or a Hawking/Penrose singularity or whatever we end up calling it - it will be simple.

Physicists and cosmologists are hard at work on the problem? And the explanation will be “simple”??? (Sounds like Stangl is up on his Dawkins:-)

The naiveté and arrogance is staggering. Next we’ll here that mathematicans and statiticians are hard at work resolving the problem of Pi. Suddenly, expaining the irrational rationally will be a piece of cake (and it will be simple to boot)

I don’t know that it’s arrogant or naive, though it might be unjustifiably optimistic at the moment to call it “simple.” Gould isn’t saying that Hawking/Penrose will, like God, be magically able to terminate the regress; their intent is to demonstrate that the regress is non-infinite. I think that that’s a much smaller goal, though it’s still quite a task. I’d do it, but I have to paint the staircase and rewire a phone jack. You know how it is...

   I also like this:

Natural selection is so stunningly powerful and elegant, it not only explains the whole of life, it raises our consciousness and boosts our confidence in science’s future ability to explain everything else.

What a crock! How exactly will natural selection explain stuff, and the laws that make the stuff do stuff?

But that’s not what Gould is saying, nor is it what natural selection purports to demonstrate. Natural selection is simply the sieve through which successive generations are filtered, and it handily explains everything we know about biological life. It doesn’t explain where life came from (that’s a different field of study), and it doesn’t explain how physical laws came to be (that’s likewise a different field), but it does articulate the process by which species develop over time.

   Thanks, Dave! (not to confuse you with Dave!!)

Thanks for the clarification.

Dave!