 Off-Topic / Debate / 28016
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:43:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:

   Okay, then a rationalist is safe as long as he never asks the question WRT to the origin of the universe. Convenient. JOHN

As I said elsewhere in this thread there is overwhelming evidence for the Big Bang hypothesis. I wouldn’t call that conveniently ignoring the question, I would call that behaving like scientists and considering the evidence at hand and what hyptheses best suit them.

Yeah, I meant to address this elsewhere and forgot: I’m not talking about the Big Bang theory, which is entirely within the scope of scientific scrutiny; I’m talking about stuff that set the Big Bang in motion previously to the Big Event. That is outside the peruse of science. Don’t equate the origin of the universe with the Big Bang theory.

Well, that’s pretty unfair. That’s like saying we NEED an answer, and if we can’t come up with one, creationism is correct.

Now that’s unfair:-) I am NOT arguing for creationism. Science is about explaining things. All I’m saying is that what happened pre Big Bang is inexplicable.

   If you go back to 500 BC and asked people why lightning happened, I’m sure they could come up with answers. But just because they were the ONLY answers they were able to come up with doesn’t make them right.

Agreed.

   Science makes no claim (that I know of) about what happened “before” the Big Bang because we have no way of falsifying any not-already-falsified theories which might provide explanation.

Thank you. That is entirely my point. Therefore any explanation about the origin of the universe is outside the peruse of science, irrational, and illogical to boot. But here it exists.

   My personal guess is that there’s no such thing as “before” the Big Bang. It would be like me asking you “who created God?” or “have you stopped beating your wife?” or what-have-you. The premise of the question is incorrect. But that’s just my personal guess.

But that’s clearly a dodge in my mind. The one thing science does know is that there was AN EVENT. The beginning of the universe happened at a point in time. It is similar those questions you posed, because we are dealing outside the bounds of logic and reason pre Big Bang, which is an uncomfortable place for a person of science to be.

   To Tim’s point (as I’m suprised that Dave! hasn’t pointed out), there actually is NOT an overwhelming amount of evidence for the Big Bang theory. To be more accurate, there is a severe LACK of DISPROOF for the Big Bang. The Big Bang theory, if accurate, has lots of falsifiable consequences (not that I can even begin to list them or know much about them). Hence, the theory is scientific because we can set up experiments and observe the outcome. If the theory is correct, we expect to see a particular outcome. And sure enough, that’s what we’ve seen. If we saw a DIFFERENT outcome, it could invalidate the theory, and we’d need to come up with a new one.

The theory of creationism is not falsifiable, therefore, not science. The best thing you can do is posit that creatures and objects appeared *instantly*, inferring that something outside the realm of the measurable universe was the cause. That’s falsifiable (not that we presently have the tools to falsify it). But stating that an intelligent being did it is NOT falsifiable. We may *believe* it, but we can’t *disprove* it, so we can’t say with any degree of certainty that it’s true or not.

When I talk about “creationism”, I strictly refer to initiating the Big Bang and then everything naturally happens from there. And yes, you are correct about it not being science because it is not falsifiable, and you are correct in your sidebar discussion with Tim.

JOHN