 Off-Topic / Debate / 28017
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:36:07 GMT

   Thank you. That is entirely my point. Therefore any explanation about the origin of the universe is outside the peruse of science, irrational, and illogical to boot. But here it exists.

I’m not sure that it will be forever outside the scope of science. The more we learn, the more we discover.

Take Brendan’s sealed-closet example. And let’s suppose we can walk around the closet. Well, we know whatever’s in the closet has to FIT in the closet, so an elephant might be right out. We might see a trail of Lego bricks leading up to the closet. We might open 40 other sealed closets and find that they all have Lego in them. Etc.

We can potentially learn more about the nature of energy, time, etc., and therefore learn more about the Big Bang and what happened “before” it, without actually being able to retrieve evidence that is directly affected by the state of things “before” the Big Bang. Scientists are always coming up with neat loopholes around things we thought to be impossible.

   My personal guess is that there’s no such thing as “before” the Big Bang. It would be like me asking you “who created God?” or “have you stopped beating your wife?” or what-have-you. The premise of the question is incorrect. But that’s just my personal guess.

But that’s clearly a dodge in my mind. The one thing science does know is that there was AN EVENT. The beginning of the universe happened at a point in time. It is similar those questions you posed, because we are dealing outside the bounds of logic and reason pre Big Bang, which is an uncomfortable place for a person of science to be.

Well, again, you’ve got this idea of time which is linear and absolute. Some sort of perfect Cartesian timeline. But if science has taught us anything about time, it’s that time is WAY more messed up that we might otherwise believe. For example, time for my left arm is different than time in my big toe. Not by much! But by a pathetically small amount.

Time, energy, space, matter, gravity-- they’re all related. In some senses, they actually seemingly define one another. So saying “what was the universe like at time X?” is actually an inaccurate question. The whole concept of “right now” is (as I understand it) an utter farce.

The long and the short of it is that there may NOT be a “before” the Big Bang. The Big Bang may have *created* time. And as such causality is totally out the window, just like “who created God?” is totally out the window. The answer would be something like “the Big Bang simply was”.

Personally (I’m not sure why), I frequently imagine time like passing through a square block of Swiss cheese. Perhaps you could think of it as flip-book of infinitely thin slices being flipped. As you progress, you see a hole appear, get bigger, then smaller, then disappear. But the block of cheese as an entity simply exists. You may think of that hole as a temporal object that changes, and ceases to exist, but it’s not so.

The fact that you seem to perceive the cheese as “changing” is a trick that your mind plays on you. Even though you can only see a thin slice at any given moment, the reality is that the whole thing exists all at once. What happens at the ends of the block of cheese? Nothing. The cheese is finite.

The question would sort of be like asking “what color was the cheese before the cheese started?” Well, there was no color. There was no cheese.

But that’s simply my own guess. I’m not sure how much scientific research has been done or could be done to test it. I don’t see it as a dodge at all-- I’m admitting that I don’t know, and don’t really have much good basis for my guess. Would it be any more of a dodge to say that my guess was that another universe preceeded this one, ad infinitum? In short, is there any answer I *could* give you that you wouldn’t consider a dodge?

DaveE