 Off-Topic / Debate / 28019
Re: The Brick Testament - More Teachings of Jesus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 02:47:36 GMT

John wrote:

But that's clearly a dodge in my mind.  The one thing science {does} know is
that there was AN EVENT.  The beginning of the universe happened {at a point in
time}.  It is similar those questions you posed, because we are dealing outside
the bounds of logic and reason pre Big Bang, which is an uncomfortable place for
a person of science to be.

Actually, it didn't really happen in a point in time, AFAIAC.  Time
began at that point.  In fact, there's a good chance that "time" didn't
"begin" (or stabilize) for "eons" (read in femto- or pico- seconds),
just as our physics framework (as we understand it so far) didn't
stabilize "immediately".

Now, the question of whether the universe will expand until everything
burns out, or collapse and restart "time" in a new "universe" that may
*or may not* share the same physical laws...I am not prepared to answer.
  But that doesn't mean I have to irrationally posit an irrational being
as the impetus in order to make myself feel more in groove with the
universe.

--
Tom Stangl
* http://www.vfaq.com/